Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS Thro Axle Skewers – Front Wheel
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody using a DT Swiss RWS Thro Axle Skewer in their front wheel?

Does it make a difference. I appreciate that it won't be as stiff as a 20mm thro axle but is it worth the expense to change from a qr to this on a Hope Pro 2 hub

Thanks for any assistance

Ken

Seamus
    Free Member

IME it makes a small difference in stiffness, not sure whether its worth the expense for the improvement, however if your worried about the qr working loose it does seem more secure.

BadlyWiredDog

They have an unfortunate tendency to strip the ridges from the inside of the tightening handle which renders them very expensive scrap – if you want a more reliable and cheaper alternative, try and bolt-up skewer instead. I've killed a couple of RWS skewers and I don't think I'm the only one.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Same experience as BadlyWiredDog. The DT RWS skewers are made of cheese !

You can get hollow steel QR's in 9 / 10 mm from superstar amongst others

foxyrider
    Free Member

mashed my rear – front going strong – don't over tighten and you'll be OK 🙂

z1ppy

I got hold of specialized bolt thru 9mm axle (think RWS but with a normal QR lever), Superstar were doing one (sold out) and CRC stocked a NC-17 one (no longer listed) & use it with a 9mm conversion kit on a Hope Pro II wheel.

I feel it did improve the stiffness but after re-trying it, after using a super stiff Lefty for ages,it ain't that stiff

markenduro
    Free Member

Fitted one of the superstar ones to my rear hub last week and I haven't died yet…
    To be fair, they are pretty good for the money.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS Thro Axle Skewers – Front Wheel’ is closed to new replies.