Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS snapped lever bolt
  • ma-maracas
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone else done this? or just me 🙂

The red bolt on my dt swiss 10mm bolt (the bolt that holds the lever on), was coming loose – so tightened it, and the d4rn thing snapped clean in two…oops.

Quick scan on t'internet and i can't find any information on whether you can buy new bolts (rather than a whole new skewer). Although a few other peeps who have snapped theres.

I am thinking i need to drill out snapped part of bolt and either source a new one (or find out the size of old one and find similar).

Any help much appreciated.

Mark

fozzybear
    Free Member

i have 2 mates with the RWS system, i lie 3…

all have swapped away from it with 1 snapping the lever arm, the other breakign a bolt like you and then his replacement locked onto the bike when we needed to remove it puncture wise mid ride..

the third… mick arms off here.. not sure what he did if he broke the bike again or what.. he was happy at first when i saw him but i remember him having doubts after a while i'm sure.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

thx – did your mate how broke the bolt, just bin it off? or did he manage to source a new bolt? don't want to be spending £30-40 on a new one just for a snapped bolt (they seem super weak).

thanks

fozzybear
    Free Member

couldn't get a new bolt, spesh replaced the whole RWS bolt, the replacement wasn't greased and locked onto his frame.

ended up binning them all and getting NC10's i think

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'd recommend the Hadley bolt thru axle from Balle racing, it came to about £22 delivered and only took a few days. You can pay with paypal as well if you email Erik.

It's a nice quality piece of kit with nothing to go wrong, I've had one on my FR bike for a while but now have one on my other bike as well.

I was tempted to try the RWS and really glad I didn't now.

neilforrow

yep… snapped / lost mine. was replaced under warranty, however I now ride with the arm in my rucksack so I dont snap it again and loose the plastic arm.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

yeah – i took the lever out in rucksack – figured you could get it undone if needed – bit cr4p though after spanking so much money on it! thanks for the tip on getting it greased up, would be even more annoying having it seized on and the lever in my pak 🙂

dasnut
    Free Member

yeah I replaced my RWS with a trick alloy hadley one from the same erik@balle racing
    The RWS languishes in the spares box now, spose I should put it in the classifieds…..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

pretty sure I read a thread on MTBR (?) forum (which was comparing DT Swiss and Magura forks) and there was a discussion about snapping bolts, and the design being changed as it was a known fault? I came across it when I googled for reviews of the DT Swiss 150mm fork so it should come up. Pretty sure DT were changing the design/dropping their RWS system?

igm

Hadley here too

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Thanks Munqe chick, I will look into that. And by the sounds of it, I need to have a look at hadley too.

thanks for the tips.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS snapped lever bolt’ is closed to new replies.