Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS rear axle. How does it work?
  • Mugboo

The lever snapped off mine so I’ve drilled a hole in the end so I can tighten it with an Allen key. First ride out this weekend and the back wheel came loose.
    Does the lever do anything or did I just not tighten it enough?

vincienup
    Free Member

I use a front RWS and it seems to be a simple nut and bolt with funny handy handle.

I have rear that I’ve never got round to converting a hub for – Pro2 in bearings that wouldn’t die shocker 🙂

Pretty sure that there’s no expanding wedge like in a Maxle… So probably not tight enough.

Superstar 9mm QR? Direct replacement fit wise…

Mugboo

It’s a 135 x 12 rear. I think the lever is just for tightening. There was a small button that allowed you to choose where the lever pointed but I think your right.

batfink
    Free Member

yep, it’s just a threaded rod. As Mugboo says – the only “complicated” bit is the fact that you can re-position the lever after it’s been tightened to avoid it snagging on a bramble or summint. The superstar versions have a standard quick-release type lever which nips-it-up after you’ve wound it tight.

sandal100

I have one on the back of my intense that has a cone with a split in on the axle by the handle that looks like when it presses into the g1 dropout and is tightened up the split compresses and nips the axle? I don’t seem to be able to find a picture on google, they all look different.

Mugboo

Last time I checked Superstar said they didn’t do one & I’m not sure about the Intense but I think I asked them too. BETD was suggested but they were a no, I think that was to do with Intense.

No problem though, I’ll just tighten it properly this time!

vincienup
    Free Member

Superstar quick releases here.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=32

Standard RWS replacements are the 9 and 10 mm at too of page.

If you have a 12mm rear end obviously won’t fit… But are you sure that’s what you have? DR do make one but 10mm is a lot more common… Superstar only do non-qr axles this size at the moment.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-for-X-12

barffy
    Free Member

Just had to get a replacement for my mega. DT don’t sell them they were customs for Nukeproof but a Rockshox maxle is a direct fit.

Mugboo

Definitely 12mm & yes the Maxle fits, I tried my mates but they are too expensive 🙁

barffy
    Free Member

Tell me about it, I just had to drop over £50 for mine, I almost had a heart attack but the bike is pretty useless without it!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mugboo – could be your lucky day 😉 just emailed you ref the maxle 🙂

Mugboo

Looks like it is, thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS rear axle. How does it work?’ is closed to new replies.