Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS rear axle
  • psychle
    Free Member

Is there any real-world advantage to the 10mm RWS rear axle setup?

The reason I ask is that I’ve just bought a set of Traversee’s for my Enduro and the rear hub is setup for a standard QR. As my orginal wheel came with a 10mm RWS rear axle, I called Specialized to see if you can get an adaptor/converter for the Roval hub. Apparently you cannot…

The Spesh tech then went on to state that the RWS is a waste of time and money and that the QR setup is perfectly fine and in fact better then the DT Swiss axle… Now, I thought the whole point of the RWS was to stiffen up your rear end a bit, at least that’s how it’s marketed right?

What do you guys think? Will I be missing out on something by not having the RWS on my ‘premium’ wheelset (rather than on my ‘spare’)?

scruff
    Free Member

It is stiffer, but only noticable on my heckler when standing up very steep tarmac climbs, didnt notice it HT though, until I took it off and put normal QR wheel back in and it felt more flexin.

To summarize, its expensive and depending on flexyness off your frame you might not notice. No disadvantages though, my placcy lever has not broke either.

psychle
    Free Member

That was one thing he mentioned, the plastic lever breaking at an inopportune moment… I guess I’ll just stick a Salsa skewer in there and be happy 😀

chunkypaul
    Free Member

I converted my DT 240 hubs to the 9mm front and 10mm rear RWS system on a FSer

i definitely see the benefits of if on the front but don’t really notice it on the rear

<laughs to self> specialized will probably introduce a 10mm rear hub system similar to DT at some point and a long and expensive legal case will commence…. and it will include a plastic lever….

it always makes me laugh when companies (or there tech representatives) slag off other manaufacturers kit…

njee20
    Free Member

The first place I saw DT RWS skewers was on Specialized bikes, slightly odd!

z1ppy

I reckon the 9mm thru axle I put on the front end of my bike has helped stiffen it up no end, I’d ignore the specialized corporate monkey… saying that my 9mm thru axle is from specialized!

Do you fancy selling the RWS cheap then?
    😆

psychle
    Free Member

On the front I have their enormous 25mm thru-axle, so that’s plenty stiff enough 😀 It’s just the rear that will have to be a standard QR (unless anyone knows of a conversion kit for Roval hubs?)

Dango
    Free Member

I have a hope pro converted to RWS 10mm and also Roval Traversee wheels on another bike.

The RWS does stiffen the rear slightly, and is easier to clamp up tight and release than a standard 9mm IMO

Just bling though and isnt life changing

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

I am just about to buy the convertor for my 240 front hub but am loathe to pay the massive cost for the DT 9mm thru bolty thing. Any cheaper alternatives that would still give me that 9mm added stiffness?

z1ppy

If you ask speicialized they can supply a 9mm Bolt thru axle for around £10.
    I got one from there concept store in Brum, just asked fro a replacement one for a stout hub (lied obviously), though the sales numpty had to put me through to an mechanic, the mechanic knew what I meant.
    They were supposedly getting a couple of spares in.

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Thanks Z1ppy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS rear axle’ is closed to new replies.