Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS 'issue' advice please
  • juanking

All, after a little advice so hope someone here can offer some guidance.

I was trying to remove the front wheel of Mrs King Specialized bike when I noticed the plastic ‘teeth’ on the DTSwiss RWS ratchet had rounded. After trying lots of different ways to remove the wheel it became clear the only option left to me was to break of the hacksaw….
    So I sawed through the axle at the lever end and managed to remove the wheel.
    I’ve bought a Superstar 9mm axle which I thought would go straight on but it will not due to the requirement of the conversion ‘tube’….

So now of course I need to remove the old ‘tube’ and put this onto the Superstar 9mm axle but I can’t remove it from the butchered QR. Does anyone know if these things are threaded or are they just a pushfit?

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Ta muchly, pics below!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I don’t wish to sound alarmist but that “tube ” looks like a hub axle to me

RustyMac

Just to confirm above, the silver part is part of the hub and not part of the QR.

Normally black the threaded section would slide past this.

The silver bit will need to be installed into the hub between the bearings prior to the installation of the superstar QR.

juanking

Cheers, with ‘careful’ cutting I haven’t touched the the silver part of the hub. The black part seems stuck within the silver bit so was wondering if the black bit is threaded or whether it should just slide out?
    Ta

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m just baffled as to how the axle came out without disassembling your hub unless the whole hub is fubar.

Conclusion a) its your axle, you disassembled the hub, you know this and this is a trick question.

Conclusion b) its not the axle and your hub is fine, it’s a proprietary press fit adapter.

Conclusion c) it is your axle, bearings are shot, play on the axle caused the teeth to wear on the rws and also caused twist/damage in the axle/rws interface which is why it’s stuck on there. It’s push fit, good luck, it won’t be easy, also look to new bearings/hub shell.

<edit> I’m inclined to say c sorry to say, the stepped ends of the axles should sit in the bearings, with the widest part not fitting though the inner ring of the bearings, meaning you *should* have to remove the bearings to get that out, also the rws should slide in and out of it easily.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

n.b. the superstar one doesn’t work anywhere near as well as the RWS one, if you are looking for stiffness.

the later RWS ones are metal I think.

juanking

Cheers. The problem I’m having is I can’t get the silver hub part off the black thread axle part to then slide onto the new superstar axle. Should it be a lump hammer job?

Also always had problems with the RWS so just putting on another won’t work. The QR15 on my pro3 onto my fox’s works so well they make these look poo.

RustyMac

Try and balance the silver part on a vice or something trying not to clamp it too tight and give the black section a tap.You may want to screw on the end cap of the QR back on and hit that to get it started so as not to flare the end of the skewer and make it even harder to remove. You don’t want to deform the silver section as this is used to support the inner race of the bearings.

If this doesn’t work get some plus gas or the like in there to try and free it off.

I am presuming you still have the end caps and bearing that must have come off at the same time as removing the axle?

wwaswas

I’d drill a hole in a block of 2×2 wood that the black bit will go through and that silver axle won’t and clamp that in the vice before twatting the black bit with a lump hammer.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As above use some wood or something soft and tap through from the threaded end not the cut end, if its not totally knackered it’ll go straight through as soon as it moves at all. Also I’d start with some wd40/gt what ever penetrative stuff.

juanking

Thanks guys, yes Russ, I still have all the parts I’m just struggling to get the axle out of the silver hub bit.. I’ll look at ordering some plus gas and I’ll see what I can do with the vice. I’ll also try the 2×2 method, I’ve got a horrible feeling it’s stuck so might be in for a bit of a battle…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Juanking – what sort of hub?

New axle may be easier/cheaper than the seat and swearing and possible breakage of separating the two

juanking

It’s a specialized stout hub that’s came as standard on her Safire FS.

I have been looking for a similar adapter and the only ones I was finding were DT Swiss ones coming in around £40..

I’m willing to accept any suggestions!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

IME looks right but isn’t exactly the same almost invariably isn’t right at all with anything bike related, (oh for a standard for anything). The sout hub is discontinued and parts are no longer on inventory ( http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/961953-2-1-stout-front-hub-replacement-axle-and-cones ) so your choice is try salvage what you have or replace the thing. EBay turns up two sout front wheels and one pair, all cheap as chips but standard qr so not scavengable. On the plus side standard qr will work just fine with your existing forks.

juanking

Thanks brain, dump question number 2 I’m afraid. If the worst came to the worst which adapters would I need to convert this to standard qr? Cheers guys.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Beat the black part from the silver part a little heat may help
    Don’t Normaly have a issues with rws apart from the cost if you loose them
    Fit the new one with a little grease

Not sure you can get a q/r end cap for those stout hubs

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS 'issue' advice please’ is closed to new replies.