Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DT Swiss Hub service- anyone have a Ring Nut Tool? and Freehub bearings?
  • Kahurangi

I have a slightly older (not 2015+) DT Swiss 350 that needs new bearings. To change the drive side, I need the ring nut removal tool and they’re £40+ a pop.

Does anyone have one and might be prepared to loan it if I cover your costs & make a donation to the beer fund of choice?

And while we’re on the topic, the freehub bearings also need a change. I’ve ascertained that within the freehub there’s 2 x bearings and a spacer. You can drift out the inboard bearing but need to under an internal circlip to free the outboard bearing. But no where I’ve read has made it clear what bearings these are. DT Swiss imply that one should change the entire freehub (£40+) instead of just the bearings (£4+)….

For reference the hub needs 2 x 6902 size bearings. The only reference I’ve found online reckons that it’s also 6902’s for the free hub.

pickle
    Free Member

Good luck with this, I had one that needed exactly the same a few years back and I couldn’t find a single shop who could do it, and the actual cost of the tools and bits didn’t weigh up against a whole new wheel.

I sold it in the end.

jimw
    Free Member

Some while ago I got my LBS to change the freehub bearings. I have one of the bearings he removed in my hand and it says 6180 2RS on one side and 6802 RS on the other. Make of that what you will!!

Dimensions are:
    24 mm OD, 15mm ID, 5mm thick

A quick google shows this:
    http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/6802-2rs-max-c3_enduro_bearing.html?gclid=CJ7_0Yb1g8sCFUQcGwodByoEkQ

Other outlets available,just the first that came up

Edit:

I have helped someone get the ring nut out with the correct tool. It is an utter PITA -with the nut tool on a 4″vice and two of us heaving on the rim in the right direction with the spokes twanging under the strain it eventually gave in and released. I swore that I’d never have a go at it myself after that, it was worth taking it to my LBS and paying him to do just that part.

Ambrose

Jon- where are you? I have the tools required. You will also need a very sturdy vice and bench. I have broken a 4″ Record vice in the past whilst removing the ring nut.

I’m in Carmarthenshire.

breninbeener

Dear Lord, does this mean i shouldnt but DT Swiss 350s and stick with Hope evos?

jimw
    Free Member

Oh no, I think 240’s and 350’s are great hubs. I have a 2006 wheelset still on the original bearings, and another 2010 set similarly still as smooth as can be. It’s just of that bearing goes, and it is the best protected, it is hard work to change.

Northwind

I have one of these cheaper ones:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DT-Swiss-Lock-Ring-Nut-Removal-Installation-Tool-Hugi-240S-240-340-440-540-/351603190330?hash=item51dd2eea3a:g:Bn0AAOxyRNJSgRvb
    Works a charm. It’s the only special tool you need, everything else is doable with sockets etc like any other hub. (and the freehub makes a perfect freehub seal driver, funnilly enough) It’s still a mission to get the main bearing out though, they say to clamp it in a vice but I improvised a mighty pry bar, because I’m puny.

You hear about people welding a spare ratcher to a nut or bar to do this job; at a guess, my best weld is about 1% strong enough 😆

You’re welcome to a lend if you can’t find one locally, I only use it about once every couple of years. That’s basically the deal with the devil with 240 hubs, the middle bearing is incredibly long lived and the ratchet will last 50 years, but it’s a bollocks to change. Even more so because by the time you need to change it, it’s been in there for years and is pretty much welded in.

(aside- check the middle bearing separately, these aren’t hubs where you want to change as a set every time, they all wear at different rates so it’d be a total waste. Generally brakeside goes first)

The bearings are all just common or garden, can’t remember the sizes but nothing unusual. I suspect it’s a 6802 for the freehub, I should have a freehub I can check in the garage though, if by some miracle I remember…

hatter

Where are you based? I have the kit.

Kahurangi

Thanks for the offers…. I’m in Georgieland (Newcastle) so not really near any of you though I’m in Tweed Valley reasonably often.

I did check the DS hub bearing independently of the NDS…. I think. Given the wrenching involved I might double check. My vice is tiny so I’d be hauling on the ring nut all ways as well.

The freehub definitely needs doing so if I find any confirmation of those bearing sizes (thanks jimw) I’ll have a go at that, then pop the axle out and check the DS hub bearing.

Cheers all

to be updated……

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Hub service- anyone have a Ring Nut Tool? and Freehub bearings?’ is closed to new replies.