Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • dt swiss hub service.
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

is it possible to dismantle without all the 'proper' tools?
    took the freehub off and the bearing underneath has a type of sleeve/shroud over it…?
    had a look at the tech site but it shows you all the fancy tools i should use, anyone got any bodges they use.?

bear-uk
    Free Member

The sleeve pulls off, but it will do you no good as the inner gear needs a special tool to unscrew it. This allows you to get at the bearings. I am in the same boat ATM.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

You can do everything with sockets, a vice, some hardwood and some basic joinery 😉 Everything except the bearing under the ratchet ring that is…

The tool for that is £55 or something ridiculous tho the star ratchet itself is a fraction of that. Occured to me you could buy the star ratchet (two pieces obviously) then weld a big nut to one half to take an adjustable spanner ( or a socket but a bit of a waste )

househusband

It's the star ratchet; you need the DT tool to remove it – or take it to a bike shop with the tool. Might be worth ringing first to make sure they have it. Some folk bodge the tool by welding a star ring to a bolt or socket.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I thought that idea might work. Tried to find a big nut that might grab a few cogs, as usual nowt exact.

snowpaul
    Free Member

tried the welding bodge – didnt work for me – poor welds = shearing off

stupid design in my opinion as otherwise superb hubs – get a shop to do it for you

paul

gothandy

It might be useful to read this other topic.

Advice on DT Swiss 440 Freeride Hub

Since then I actually purchesed the damn Ring Nut tool.

However for the life of me I can't get the ring nut to budge, I've been through the instructions 2 or 3 times, and it's clear I put the tool in a vice and turn the wheel anti-clockwise.

So back to the bikeshop it is! And well annoyed now because also have a pointless and expensive tool.

Yet1man

Does anyone know if there is a 15mm adaptor for the 440 front hub ?

Bream
    Free Member

I made the mistake of taking my rear wheel to the LBS to remove the star nut, cost me nearly £20 and they fitted it back together wrong so damaging my new bearing 😡

Needless to say lesson learnt so bought the cheap star ratchet and welded on a nut, welded it on the inside so no external flash etc. Perfect tool sorted for about a tenner.

All docs are on the DT website

Bream
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is a 15mm adaptor for the 440 front hub ?

Can't see one listed on the DT site or CRC so I think you've out of luck, just drop them an e-mail direct, they've always got back to me on questions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘dt swiss hub service.’ is closed to new replies.