Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DT Swiss Freehub question
  • dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

I have an issue regarding the DT Swiss freehub on my Canyon Nerve AM. When pedalling the rear wheel does not engage at all. For a while beforehand, the hub was “sticking” when pedalling backwards.

Before I take off the cassette (need to borrow tools from a friend) what potentially could be the problem? Could the star ratchets be siezed? Or could the springs have lost its force (for a better word)?

My other issues is that I have no idea what model the DT Swiss hub is as it is branded as AM1800 which is not an aftermarket part.

Any help is much appreciated,

G.

boxfish
    Free Member

It may be that the spring which helps the ratchets engage is knackered. Only way to be sure is too get the freehub off and take a peek. I find that DTSwiss freehubs work very well whe properly maintained, but they do require a bit more TLC than other “leading brands”

bennyboy1
    Free Member

If it’s a star rachet hub then you might not need to remove the cassette. DT 240 hubs for example are puch fit so you can remove the freehub by simply pulling it away from the wheel with the cassette still attached, this provides instant access to the Star Rachet internals. If it’s a new ish wheel then I’d presume there’s too much grease in the rachet if it’s simply spinning without engaging, there really does only need to be a very minimal amount of grease in there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

All star ratchet hubs should be the same – just pull the freehub body off. Leaving the cassette on can make this easier. That assumes it’s actually got star ratchet internals, any clues on the rim stickers? They’re all the same, the only difference between the 350/240/180 is the weight of the shell basically.

I’d agree with too much grease, the springs are big and don’t need to exert much force, so unlikely to be knackered.

hs125
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with the DT Swiss hub from my Cube. As well as the springs having lost their strength, the tips of the ratchets had rounded off meaning all needed replacing.
    Mine was replaced by a LBS, as part of a free labour deal on servicing. It was a long while ago though, but only cost me a few quid for the parts.

dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

My LBS suggested buying a new Hope hub that they would fit along with new spokes.

Seemed a bit excessive as they didn’t even open up the hub, just knocked it with a hammer.

I’ll have a look at the internals and see if there is anything obvious. hs125 – this is what I was thinking, so will have a look and report back.

dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

So turns out that its the two pawl system rather than the star rachet. Ordered a new spring and pawls. Hopefully that rectifies the situation.

njee20
    Free Member

My LBS suggested buying a new Hope hub that they would fit along with new spokes.

They’re idiots. Glad you got it sorted, although the 2-pawl DT hubs aren’t nearly as nice as the star ratchet ones!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

that sounds like the same wheel the Cube’s used to come with. they are a poor 2 pawl design with a hair spring to keep everything moving.

They also run a needle roller bearing assembly at the hub end and a poor seal.

If you need spares for them, the official hub is called the Onyx. I’d recommend giving that needle roller assembly a good greasing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Freehub question’ is closed to new replies.