Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DT Swiss EXM forks (launch control) anyone have them
  • jonnyrockymountain

As title currently running revs at 150mm on my ST4 which are brill on descents but on climbs I need some sort of travel adjust?
    I have had u-turns before and didn’t like the winding down and back up also they didn’t feel as good as normal revs, also had fox talas and same again bit of a faf to adjust and again didn’t feel as plush as floats
    So I’m looking at DT Swiss EXM 150mm they get good write ups about plush ness and service intervals also the launch control is one button that you press down and push down on fork and they reduce travel, it sounds easy, but is it easier than u-turns and talas but most importantly are they still as plush and nicey feely?
    Cheers
    Jonny

philstone

Never had the DT Swiss but i had the Pace RC41 fighters which were the ancestors to the DT Swiss, with Launch Control and I really rated it, very quick to lower the front end for climbs and roads, easy to revert back to full travel.. If I saw a set of EXC150’s or similar I’d be hard pushed not to get them!

jonnyrockymountain

Cheers mate

kevj
    Free Member

I have a set of these on my Mojo. They are a brilliant fork (but I would say that!) Very plush, not too heavy and once you have set them up to suit your bike/ weight/preference then they just simply work.
    Nice and stiff too.

The launch control function works, but, I have tried them when climbing and it doesn’t really help. At Gunnerside last weekend, the climb up old gang mill was into a very strong headwind and I struggled to keep traction at the back without the front wheel lifting. I tried the launch control again to see if it helped by dropping the front a bit and it has the effect of changing the angles at the rear and makes peddling harder (there is a thread on here re this somewhere) so after giving it a fair chance, I’ll not be bothering with it again.

This aside, the fork is fantastic on downhill sections and responds very well on small bumps etc.

bowglie

I had the 130mm DT version – virtually the same as Pace RC41’s, but maybe a bit better built & finished. I really liked the Launch Control, and the adjustable threshold on it was useful. However, although the fork felt quite plush, the damping left a lot to be desired – IME, it was not a patch on RS’s Blackbox damping, in fact, I’d say that a well serviced open bath Fox is better damped. I experimented with pressures and different damper settings, but could never achieve a happy medium between small bump sensitivity/cornering grip and decent mid-stroke support for steep rocky technical trails.

TBH, I thought it was a very nice looking fork, and the Launch Control was good. If you like forks with a very linear travel and can accept the compromises in the damping, you’ll probably like it.

p.s. FWIW, I replaced the DT’s with some Blackbox damped Revs, and I noticed that the guys I sold the DT’s to has also now replaced ’em with Revs!

p.p.s. just remembered, I had some problems with the Launch Control sticking or not engaging and had to have it repaired – luckily just within warranty.

jonnyrockymountain

Cheers guy’s
    Anymore?

jonnyrockymountain

Any positives??

CaptainSlow

I had rc41s on a five a few years back and found them to be faultless and the launch control really helped keep the nose down.
    Currently running some DT 120 twin shots on a flux and find I don’t need the launch control often. Again they’ve been faultless and work very well.

Not sure about 150s on a short travel bike like the st4 – I would think if you’re putting 150s on, it will help. I guess whether LC is useful will depend heavily on the bike.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve had some on my mojo for about 3 years. Good fork. Launch control works well and is easy to use and disengage. No probs with them at all. Think they are due a service though as they don’t feel as plush as they did.

strike
    Free Member

I have a pair of EXM150 forks that I’ve been running since June 2011 and I’m very impressed with them. They’re easy to service (once you get an adjustable pin spanner <http://www.wixroyd.com/en/catalog/standard-parts/hand-tools/pin-faced-spanners/94000&gt;) plus there’s great service video on DT’s site.

They have taken a bit of playing around to get them feeling right, in terms of air pressures, but that’s to be expected with any fork tbh.

I’ve used them twice in the Alps and both times excellent, plus I found the Launch Control very useful on the climbs. They’re also very stiff and sealing is good and in 14months there’s no stanchion wear at all.

The only downside can be price (compared to RS) – if you get them on sale then I’d say you can’t go wrong with them.

My only tip to watch out for is when you service them, use the Motorex oil that is recommended for them. I tried Silkolene Pro RSF and they felt awful (so had to go back to Motorex).

ska-49
    Free Member

Ive got some which are fantastic. Sadly selling as im going the 29er route for XC. You can have them for £250 ? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/splitting-kingdom-ti-frame-2x-hope-hoops-dropper-post-bars-and-dt-forks

jonnyrockymountain

ska-49
    Ideal mate but i need standard steerer 11/8″
    Thanks though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss EXM forks (launch control) anyone have them’ is closed to new replies.