Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DT Swiss e1900 rims ?
  • sprocker
    Free Member

Got a set of these wheels on my bike, the back just feels really slow. Considering whether it’s worth just rebuilding the rear on a better hub, the hub is a non star ratchet cheap dt Swiss type or should I just get some new wheels. Wondered if any body knows what rims they are, cheers

sprocker
    Free Member

Looked on there they seem to look similar to 471’s but not conclusive

sillyoldman

E1900 uses a pawl hub, and a pinned rim.
    E1700 uses a star ratchet 350 based hub with a lighter sleeved rim (same as E512)
    EX1501 uses 240s based star ratchet hub and the lighter and way stronger welded rim (same as EX 471).

All nice wheels for their price points.

Do you mean the pick up is slow, or that the wheel feels generally sluggish?

BearBack
    Free Member

Looks to be the e512 rim @525g.
    The additional weight over the e1700 is hub and spokes.

What tire are you running? I ask as my ex1501 splines are perfectly xc race ready with 2.4 mk2 and 2.4 x-king but make me feel like i’m working twice as hard with 2.4 tk’s
    Makes you fit though and much faster when you go back to a faster rolling tyre.

Im riding a scale plus right now with the factory pawled Formula hub. Engagement is slow and consequently harsh compared to my 36t dt swiss wheels on my other bikes. But suprisingly, the bike with 2.8 racing ralphs doesnt feel slow at all.

benpinnick

It depends on the generation. 1st gen wheels had 533d rims, current gen have E512 rims. Obviously if yours look the same as the ones on the link above, you have current gen wheels. Other wise 1st gen.

The e512 is a great rim for the money, so hard to see an upgrade without it getting spendy. To be honest the 370 hub is ok but you’d be better off getting a whole new wheel as you’d probably need to spend 60/70+ to get a better rim, then you’d want to replace the champ spokes too…. It all starts adding up!

sprocker
    Free Member

They have 2.4/2.3 high roller combination and they feel generally sluggish compared to crossmax, superstar tesla’s I have had on before with same tires on previous bikes. New bike is boost back which is a bit limiting at the minute hub wise. I can get a set of pro 4’s with some Easton arcs or wtb KOM’S for 390 ish which maybe best option. I was toying with sticking a pro 4 in to see if this speeds it up.

benpinnick

A Pro4 will be twice as fast pickup as a 1900. That may be the trick although I’ve never really noticed pickup much, even when switching from 18T to 100T hubs back and forth. I find that the weight of the wheel and the construction combined with tyre choice make the most difference. Its worth noting that the E512 rim you’re currently on is heavier but stronger than the other choices you are considering. I’d check for dings and dents before moving over as if you have any then you’re likely to damage the new ones even faster. For a really tough wheel (at extra cost alas) I’d consider a Hope onto an EX471 or my personal current favourite the XM481.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss e1900 rims ?’ is closed to new replies.