Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DT swiss 5.1 – Tubless
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Ok advice needed on this

I would like to change my 5.1 to tubless.
    I will not be running tubless ready tyres .

what is the best kit to get

No tubes
    No flats
    Caffeelatex (SP)
    or the DT swiss kit (seems expensive)

Any advice/ recomendations will be great.

( searched the forum and found no previous post on 5.1 in specific)

cheers

JK

Vortexracing

I have only used DT swiss kits bought from just riding along.

they have been faultless on all 3 sets of 5.1’s that i have fitted them to.

The kits also are a perfect fit for maxic 719 BTW 😉

Garry_Lager

I ran a 5.1 tubeless with the DT swiss kit and it was appalling. It was part of an ill-advised foray away from my usual 819 UST set-up.

So my best advice is to ebay the 5.1 and get a proper rim for tubeless, such as an 819. Cost you less in time and money in the long run.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RudiBoy
    Free Member

Vortex would that be the DT swiss specifc kit or just riding alongs version??? ( p.s. I might be interested in the minions you have for sale)

Garry
    Yep I understand that kits will never be as good as UST specific rims, had 823 and they were great,but I need a solution that does not involve selling the lot.

Vortexracing

DT specific kit

the hard plastic red one.

difficult ti fit but once on they are spot on.

Minions are still for sale BTW

wwaswas

run Joe’s on my 4.2d’s with no problem.

the price of the DT rim strips means by the tiem you’ve bought them plus rims you coudl get some tubeless ready rims…

gamo
    Free Member

Joes wide xc rim strips fit 5.1d’s perfectly.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The Stans standard kit works perfectly for me on 5.1s and has been flawless for going on three years now. Even with dented rims! 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Dt kit was terrible I think always leaking at valve and a right faff they are now ghetto with bmx tubes miles better

Shackleton

DT kit for me. Hard to get onto the rims but faultless since (4 years) with normal conti and maxxis tyres. I’ve got on well with cafe latex over winter too. As with all things tubeless I’ve found that taking time to do it properly whilst sober is the best way.

AD

Joe’s tubeless rim strip (yellow pack i.e. 19-25mm width) with Stan’s tyre sealant (and a 2.3 Conti Gravity tyre).
    Works fine for me and a lot cheaper than DT’s own strips (or Stan’s strips for that matter).

mboy
    Free Member

Dt kit was terrible I think always leaking at valve and a right faff they are now ghetto with bmx tubes miles better

DT kit was an absolute nightmare! Bust several tyre levers getting a pair of dual play 2.35 high rollers on… Seriously! And that’s from someone who is used to getting UST michelins onto UST Mavic rims with just my fingers…

Oh, and the valves had a tendancy to leak…

From my fair experience of tubeless (about 8 years now), and having tried just about every way of doing it, they all have their pro’s and cons. Proper UST rims with UST tyres, and a bit of sealant, is still the most reliable and easiest. But if you’ve not got UST rims, then Stan’s kit is a viable alternative, though the ghetto method works just as well in my book. And if you’re good with a pair of scissors, you can trim it up nicely so nobody will even know you’re a cheapskate!

br
    Free Member

Stans standard in mine, best part of 2 years – running normal 2.4 Nobby Nic’s. Just top the fluid up every 6 months or so – I only use the wheels/tyres when in rocky areas.

DrP

I’ve ran all my 5.1s tubeless, using the ‘ghetto’ approach.
    No issues at all with them holding air, but be prepaired to train hard down the gym, mostly uper body, before getting DH class tyres on them…. 😉

DrP

oxnop
    Free Member

I ran a 5.1 tubeless with the DT swiss kit and it was appalling. It was part of an ill-advised foray away from my usual 819 UST set-up.

Exact same experience with no tubes kit on EX1750 wheel set. Unbelievable. I promise mr mavic I will never deviate from 819’s again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DT swiss 5.1 – Tubless’ is closed to new replies.