Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Swiss 350 hubs any good?
  • ogden
    Free Member

After a new wheelset and just seen DT Swiss 350 hubs on Stan’s rims for £350 anybody run these hubs? Don’t seem to be many reviews about. Seems like a good deal?

Callum

ferrals
    Free Member

I have them, I like them, just work, not remarkably amazing, not remarkably awful. Ratchet upgrade for faster engaging avil if you care about such things

ogden
    Free Member

Upgrading from giant p-am2 rims on I think formula hubs (giant branded)

johnnystorm

Very happy with mine, did the Tour Divide without issue or looking at.

Northwind

It’s basically just a lower spec DT240S- bearings aren’t as good, hubs are heavier and IIRC the fronts aren’t so easy to adapt for axle. But the internals are otherwise the same. Great midrange choice tbh.

(the bearing thing is a slight pain; the deal with the 240 is that the middle bearing is an utter pain in the balls to replace, but it lasts an unfeasibly long time. Not so much with these. But it’s not the end of the world)

stevied
    Free Member

Very happy with my straight pulls. Coming form Hope I found the silence took a while to get used to but much prefer it to the buzz of Hope’s.

pinetree
    Free Member

I had a set on my last bike and they were absolutely fine. Very reliable, and not too loud (I’m not a fan of shouty hubs)

I recently got a new bike which came with the same wheels but decided on a bit of an upgrade, so I have a brand new unused set for sale incl. tyres. If they would be of any interest to you?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2104519/

Cheers,
    Scott

eshershore
    Free Member

great hubs!all the benefits of the excellent 240 but 1/2 the price

regular sealed bearings rather than stainless sealed bearings

still found my 350s bombproof, just replaced the front hub bearings after 2 years which cost £12

taiwanese forged shell with minimal machining, so a little heavier

same “guts” as 240 rear with upgradeable ratchet if you care about faster engagement.

more limited conversion options than 240’s but cheap enough you can get new 350s without losing much money

lucky7500

I have them on two bikes and have found them to be absolutely faultless.

honourablegeorge

Superstar have 40% off custom wheelsets – 350s on any of the new Stan’s rims with Double butted Sapim spokes are 499 less 40% – might save you a bit.

ogden
    Free Member

People seem to like them so thats good! second question is Arch or Flow rims then?

ogden
    Free Member

Custom Wheel Generator – Pair of Wheels
    DT Swiss 350 Front Hub x 1
    DT 350 Front 15mm
    DT Swiss 350 Rear Hub x 1
    DT Swiss 350 Rear Hub body x 1
    DT Swiss 350 Rear 142mm
    DT Swiss Freehub x 1
    SRAM XD Freehub
    Stans Arch Mk3 Rims x 2
    Stans Arch Mk3 Black 650b
    Sapim Race – Double Butted Black x 2
    SAPIM RACE – Double Butted BLACK
    Sapim Alloy Nipples x 2
    BLACK ALLOY

£499.98 reduced to £349.99

My current rear hub is 142x12mm but the dt swiss Rear says 142mm am I right thinking they will be the same?

nixie

Northwind, can you stick the 240 bearings into the 350 shells?

honourablegeorge

Hmm interesting interpretation of 40% by superstar….

daver27
    Free Member

I run those and Hope Pro 2 Evos. I prefer the DT ones, they seem a lot faster rolling compared to the hopes. Seem well made and long lived as well.
    Spares not as easy to come by as Hope though

deadkenny
    Free Member

Really like my 350s. Way quieter than Hope. Roll fine and though I opened up mine after a few years and thinking it would need servicing, the bearings still looked brand new and the grease looked new!

The caps are a bit of a pain to get off (need a vice), but I think that’s why the bearings last so long.

Can’t see the bearings being any different to the 240s really. Maybe more fancy brand but to me bearings are bearings. It’s the hub seals that are important. That’s why my old Crank Brothers are swiss cheese (and also makes me wonder what the big deal is about Hope when people rave about how easy it is to change the bearings… but you’re having to change the bearings! DT, they keep on going).

The 240s are lighter but a lot more expensive. 350s are fine for my needs and can still build up relatively light wheels with them.

Oh and the ratchet design is lovely. Much prefer them to pawls, plus you can swap the ratchet for faster engagement version if you want (apparently slightly less durable though).

Northwind

nixie – Member

Northwind, can you stick the 240 bearings into the 350 shells?

Aye, they’re just totally standard bearing sizes, 6802 or somesuch so you can fit any quality bearing (or not quality bearing, if you’re into false economies) So it’s a really minor thing, they just don’t last as well on their original bearings. If they were a more normal hub that’d be nothing, but since the central bearing is a pain to change and needs a special tool, it’s slightly more of a thing

fathomer

honourablegeorge – Member

Hmm interesting interpretation of 40% by superstar….

My email says 30% off, which is still a good deal, well I can’t find them cheaper anywhere else.

Good enough that I’ve just bought a set the same spec as ogden but with brass nipples.

remoterob
    Free Member

I bought a similar build during the last Superstar discount, though with brass nipples / 148mm rear hub. In case anyone is interested, the weight with stickers, no rim tape, came in at 1743g.

I’ve had DT Swiss / Hope hubs before and found the DTs to be better sealed and less draggy, although I have not used the lastest Hope hubs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 350 hubs any good?’ is closed to new replies.