Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DT Swiss 350 Freehub not freewheeling
  • bolt7
    Free Member

Having issues with Hub not engaging freewheeling in 12T/11T High Gears.

The Hub has been greased recently during a routine service by LBS.

See Video.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Too much grease
    Spacer missing or bearings not pressed in properly
    Springs not installed correctly (yes I have seen this. It wrecks things. You don’t wanna know….)

hatter

Missing spacer or one missing spring tends to lock the freehub, essentially making it ‘fixed’.

Sounds like either both springs are missing or the shop has used way too much of an overly thick grease that the springs can’t push out of the way to engage.

Remove the drive side end cap and slide the freehub a little bit off the axle to open the hub a little bit and check the grease on the drive rings, it should be red in colour and applied quite sparingly, if it’s not red or there’s loads of it in there, there’s your problem.

mattyfez

If the wheel spins ok, I’d go with too much or too thick grease.

bolt7
    Free Member

Right where do I get the correct Grease at the lowest price 🙂

mattyfez

I’d probably start by pulling the free hub off, and having a look, if it’s caked in loads of grease or manky looking grease then scoop most of it out with a paper towel, but pictures would help..

Northwind

The official DT grease isn’t cheap from memory but slick honey is ideal (so I think also judy butter?)

But, tbh I just watched the video and it’s not what you say, the freewheel absolutely is engaged, it’s just dragging a very small amount. I’d still check it out but it’s not a deal as it is, if that video’s representative then you won’t notice it riding.

nikk
    Free Member

As Northwind says, the freewheel is working fine, all I see is a slight amount of dragging. That is usually caused by a bit too much grease or maybe grease that is a little too thick for that application. In my experience, it will shake out in a couple of rides and be fine.

There would only be a problem is the freewheel wasn’t engaging (that means, when you pedal, the wheel turns). If it is engaging ok, ride the damn bike.

hatter

The correct molykote grease is 12.99 a tub, not a very big tub but you only need a tiny amount per service so it should last years.

Madison so any LBS can get it.

eshershore
    Free Member

we always use this:

the DT freehub mechanism only needs a slight smear of their grease, less is better than more!

hatter

That’s the stuff!

The consistency of the grease is very important for the ratchet system to work, too thick and sticky and it will prevent the ratchets from engaging properly (sounds like that’s what’s happened here), too thin and it’ll rub off, leaving the ratchets running on dry aluminium.

bolt7
    Free Member

Really interesting reading all of these comments.

The LBS are bit puzzled by it. Their main mechanic wasn’t in today but he is gonna have a look at the video over the next few days.

Northwind

hatter – Member

too thick and sticky and it will prevent the ratchets from engaging properly (sounds like that’s what’s happened here),

No it doesn’t 😕 It’s exactly the opposite- the ratchets are engaging fine, there’s just a bit of drag between them when they disengage.

bolt7
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far guys been really helpful. It seems to be very intermittent. Bike Shop have watched the video and much like what you have said Northwind it is really only dragging a little.

They are hoping the new grease may level out. If it doesn’t improve or gets worse, I will put it in. Gonna put a long ride on it tomorrow and see what this does.

BearBack
    Free Member

you can pull it apart by hand if you want a look at the star ratchets.

No tools required. Grab cassette and tug along the axle.

goes back together by hand too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 350 Freehub not freewheeling’ is closed to new replies.