Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DT Swiss 340 hub binding after bearing change – help!
  • chrispo
    Free Member

I changed the freehub bearings and now when you tighten the thru-axle the drive-side adapter seems to bind against the first bearing (either way the wheel doesn’t want to turn). I can’t see how the bearing can go any further in due to the spacer between the two bearings. It’s as if the spacer now goes further onto the axle – it clicks firmly into place now and I thought before it was a bit loose???

I imagine this is pretty hard to diagnose without seeing it, but does it ring any bells with anyone?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Did you remove the seal from the main hub body too? If so, check it’s in the right way round.

chrispo
    Free Member

No, I haven’t got the tool for that

chrispo
    Free Member

Sorted! (I think/hope/pray…)

For anyone reading this in the future, I’m not sure what did it. First I tidied up the freehub body where I’d slightly mangled the top of the splines that accept the star ratchet by using an “unofficial tool” to insert the bearings, which meant the ratchets now slide in and out more freely. I also removed a little nick on the extreme edge of the freehub where it meets the hub. Then I drifted out the two outer bearings, removed the axle, put everything back together and – hey presto. So it was either the slight roughness due to my clumsiness, or something not quite pushed into place (maybe the axle itself).

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You don’t need a tool to remove the seal, just the ratchet ring & washer-I’ve seen people fit the seal the wrong way round & cause the problem before.
    Glad you’ve sorted it now though.

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks for your help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 340 hub binding after bearing change – help!’ is closed to new replies.