Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DT Swiss 240s QR to 142×12 conversion
  • bing14
    Free Member

Hey all,

So I’ve got a rear centrelock 240s hub which was originally QR and which I’d like to convert into 142×12.

There’s lots of chat online about doing so, eg here. It’s an older hub so I needed a new axle tube as well as end caps. I bought this kit.

Trouble is – the outer diameter of this new axle tube is clearly *slightly* smaller than that of the previous QR tube, so it wobbles slightly inside the old bearings. The end caps also don’t come with O-rings so they fall off pretty easily if you’re not careful. So questions:

1. Do I need to swap out the old bearings to match the size of the new axle tube, or could this just be a manufacturing error with the new tube?
    2. Where can I get o-rings for my end caps from?!

Any help massively appreciated. Cheers!

RustyMac

TF Tuned are the UK support center for DT Swiss, they should be able to advise on o-rings etc.

If the hub is not built into a wheel you may be able to send it to TF Tuned and ask them to confirm axle dimensions and if they have something suitable for you or bearings etc.

hatter

I think it’s more likely to be a problem with your Non-DT cheapo conversion kit than anything. New bearings won’t help here but a genuine axle and end caps will.

This may help, always easier if you have spares codes.

240 Technical Manual

Also, the end caps on most of DT’s newer hubs don’t have O-rings, DT felt that all they did was hold moisture next to the bearing.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi I did the same got that cheap one off ebay and had the same probs I think it’s just made to small,I ended up getting a gen DT kit which was £60 but that works spot on,I only had it fitted a month and 2 spokes pulled out the hub so it’s no good to me anymore I can sell the axle and end caps for £25 posted if you intrested email in profile

bing14
    Free Member

My face reading this thread

😕

🙁

😀

TMK, that’d be great. Thanks a lot! Email incoming…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240s QR to 142×12 conversion’ is closed to new replies.