Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • DT Swiss 240s hubs…?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rear ones specifically:

Are they strong and reliable? i.e. axles and ratchets, I’ve been known to snap Hope axles

Are spares easy to get hold of?

IIRC you need a tool to remove the bearings? Is this 100% necessary to DIY?

Thanks in advance
    🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Weak as kittens and axles made of soft cheese.

Best give ’em to me really.

Relaibility? about as reliable as that Crack-addled prostitute what lives in my building but in fairness one bloke lent her £10 one time, and £20 another time, and both times she paid him back so maybe i’m being unfair.

I woon’t trust her personally though. She uses an Argos catalogue to keep the downstairs door open. It’s a security risk.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes the tool is a very good idea.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Any real advice before I lash out on one?

😉

EDIT
    Crossed posts! How much is the tool and why do I need it? 🙂

bol

Seem to last well and stand up to abuse, but the bearings are an arse to change without the tool.

Northwind

You only need the proper tool to get the innermost bearing, the others you just need the usual sockets and hammer. Great hubs…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just found this:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bearing-replacement-in-dt-swiss-rear-hub

£60 for the tool? Stuff that, I’ll get something else!

Thanks anyway 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’ve had a rear for a few years now, bought s/h.

Nay a problem – light too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It is the ring nut installation tool you need, the rest you can get through without the proper tools.

Disassembly / reassembly instructions

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr P – Apparently that tool is £60 though…

I don’t like stuff I can’t DIY easily…. 😕

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes I know, I am aware of your work.

Northwind

You can get the tool for less… Or, if you ever need it, just take it to a shop for that part. I say if, because the bearing’s so well shielded that unless you store the wheel under the sea it’ll last a very long time.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No that’s rubbish sixty pahynd for a flippin tool to bash out a bearing??? 😯

Not buying one now.

hopster
    Free Member

I’ve change one bearing in my 240’S since 2003. I am fortunate enough to be friendly with a lbs so I used the tool foc.

They are great hubs imo.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have 2 sets – awesome wheels for xc all dayers – I have the tool – 30-40 quid off ebay… yes its a ballache paying out and its stupid but they are great hubs – light and responsive. Have replaced the inner bearing a few times and one set of star ratchets – BUT i do starship mileage….

would buy again

paul

Bream
    Free Member

You can make your own tool for just over a tenner, worth the investment so you can look after the hubs yourself in the future.

Buy a standard star ratchet and weld on a suitable sized nut, jobs a goodun. Sod paying over 50 quid for one mind.

The hubs are easily servicable with the tool, sandard bearing fitment etc, I like them, use them on my DH bike.

7hz
    Free Member

Bearings last ages, light, fast.

taxi25
    Free Member

Had mine for years and had to change the rear bearings once. My lbs charged me £8 to fit the bearings I supplied. I won’t be buying the tool anytime soon.

mieszko
    Free Member

I’ve got Onyx hubs branded as Bontrager on my Race Lite wheels but a quick freehub service seems as easy on the 240’s than on the Onyx. Getting to the bearings does not require a special tool but engagement is not as quick as with the ratchet system. Mine have been problem free and spin perfectly for the last 2.5 years and I got them second hand, work as good now when I’m 14st as when I weighted 18st 🙂 If You want complete wheels with 240’s on them check the Bontrager range, Race X Lite had DT Hugi 240’s branded as Bontrager, Race Lite had Onyx hubs. Race X Lites can be had for just around £170-200 on eBay. Use normal spokes as well and can be run tubeless and they weight somewhere in the 1500g region for the set.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought a set s/h – lasted 5 years, eventually the free hub gave out had that replaced and then on the very next ride the shell cracked. So if anyone wants a one ride old DT Swiss 240 freehub then drop me a line.

For the record I would have bought another DT240 in a heartbeat but went Hope instead, couldn’t really justify the 2x price differential.

resisted
    Free Member

My Rear 240 (from EX1750 w/set) has been a stalwart the last 2 years. No sign of wear or play. I fitted the 36T star drive upgrade last year and the engagement is noticeably better than the pro2 in replaced (I think all 240’s come with this as standard now). I reckon I’d be on at least my 2nd set of bearings and freehub if I was still running the Pro2.

My LBS have the tool to remove the star ratchet (which is only needed to reach one incredibly well sealed bearing) but few others seem to. That aside, I would buy another one, should I ever need to!

njee20
    Free Member

The Onyx is a PITA compared to the 240!

As others have said you only need the star ratchet tool to get to the centre bearing, which is literally in the middle of the hub shell. I’ve had about 6 sets of 240s on various wheels, some are 6 years old, and I’ve only replaced that bearing on one set. Could live with nipping to the LBS to sort that!

Bontrager wheels don’t use 240s (or any other DT hubs) any more, their weights are way off, and they’re a faff to convert to tubeless using their kits. If you’re thinking of going for 240s I’d build as per your spec, the hubs come up on eBay etc periodically for reasonable money.

brassneck

Mine has gone all wibbly wobbly now, but it’s had 5 years hard use so it’s due a new set of bearings.

It’ll be going to a shop as I’ve had my fill of twatting out bearings from Hope hubs, I’d rather hand it over go to work and get it back at 5 for a ride.

Build light tough wheels, but I bought them purely from vanity really – Hope Pro II are probably just as good, not much heavier and easier to take apart, not to mention cheaper.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240s hubs…?’ is closed to new replies.