Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DT Swiss 240 centrelock straight pull 15mm help!!!
  • Ells
    Free Member

Hi,

Has anybody had any experience trying to disassemble a DT Swiss 240 centrelock 15mm straight pull hub? I need to change the bearings in my front hub but for life of me cannot work out how to take the hub apart. The external axle spacers are proving the first problem, any help with getting them out?

many thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Just pull, or tap them out from the back.

Gee76
    Free Member

15mm bar or your axle will twist/lever the end caps out on non straightpull 15mm cl hubs. Just the friction of the dust caps hold em in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bombjack
    Free Member

15mm bar or your axle will twist/lever the end caps out on non straightpull 15mm cl hubs. Just the friction of the dust caps hold em in.

This. I’m amazed at the amount of times my hubs have fallen apart when I’m moving wheels around due to the lack of gubbins holding them together.

Ells
    Free Member

See pics below. The black round washers hold the spacers in I presume:

gavstorie
    Free Member

im pretty sure they just drift out from the non-centrelock side… going by the photos..

Gee76
    Free Member

Yeah I scratched me head for ages with this. The washers as you call it (and so did I until after months of searching to buy a new one discovered that DT call em dust caps!!!!)… do just twist out. They need a good tight fitting maxle or 15mm bit of bar.

There is a spacer tube in the middle which makes it look impossible to drift out the end caps or bearings.

The spacer tube does actually have a rubber o-ring around it so will push back . still hard to get something on it but possible once you know your not doing any damage.

Good luck.

scotb
    Free Member

Hi just wondering how you got on with getting the bearings changed out any success ? I’ve had similar issues but managed to get the caps off by just pulling them downwards 90 degrees from the hub (No damage). I’m having problems getting the bearings out they wont budge which ever way I try and push/pull on them, just wondering if you managed to get them changed out and if you have any tips ?

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Are you actually drifting them out? Generally if you drift the axle out that’ll bring one bearing, then you can tap the other one out.

accu
    Free Member

just download the technical manual for the 240 here

https://www.dtswiss.com/Support/Service-Videos-Documents?cat=Hubs

the pdf shows a detailed manual how to disassemble the hub and change bearings..

scotb
    Free Member

I’ve been following the manual instructions but still won’t budge just wondered if I’ve missed something with these hubs as the force required to remove any other bearings from any other wheels I’ve had was far less I’ll try again when I get home from work in a few weeks and see how I go.

Gee76
    Free Member

Not sure if they’ve updated the 240 manual yet but it did omit the 15mm versions.

Found better joy with the 350 documents for an idea on how it all goes together.

No axle to drift out the bearings by the way!

scotb
    Free Member

Yeah I was using a machined pin for the drift but not joy.

Gee76
    Free Member

I found getting the endcaps out the hardest bit.

That spacer sleeve in the middle will deflect a bit. You can get a screwdriver in one end, then push through to the inside edge of the bearing on the opposite side. You have to sort of lever it a bit to push back the sleeve to reveal the inside inner races edge of the bearing. Then slowly tap it out, no worries about damaging the bearing as your gonna bin it just go slowly and work round to try and keep the bearing reasonably square. A bit heath but worked ok.

scotb
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips I Gee.

Ells
    Free Member

Once you can get to the bearings they should just tap out by working around the edges with a drift. Might just need to hit it harder?

njee20
    Free Member

With any luck he’s not still trying to get them out 3 weeks later…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240 centrelock straight pull 15mm help!!!’ is closed to new replies.