Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DT OS QR axle – secure?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

More or less (or the same) comparing to a regular QR for a disc brake?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my stumpjumper. Can’t see how it could come undone without noticing, and even more unlikely to lose the wheel considering the lawyer tabs on the forks these days.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Would you say the DT jobbie is then more secure than a Shimano QR?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

personally I’ve never had any problems with Shimano QR’s, and can’t say whether this one is better or worse.

Personally, I think it solves a problem that didn’t exist.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, PK.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I was wondering about asking the same question, following the “Pinder v Fox ” thread still chuntering away on the forum.
    As I’m running last year’s Rev’s with a notrmal qr because they don’t have maxles, the two immediate questions are:-
    1. In people’s opinion, are they more secure than a shimano qr
    2. Do you think it stiffens up the front more than a standard qr?

For some people like me, the DT things might be a half way house between running my shimano qr’s as now, or using Maxle type things, which means new forks and i can’t afford that!

PK: I sympathise, I’ve never had problems with a normal qr either, but have recently started using disc brakes and now beginning to realise the horrendous implications to your body if your qr for some reason undoes, as in the thread mentioned above.
    cheers
    Q

Hairychested
    Free Member

My thinking exactly. Only difference – wife’s bike not mine.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Hairy:
    Phoned my lbs and had a chat. They didn’t think the DT Swiss was much of an upgrade. Only one of their people use it, because it came with the bike.
    Don’t think it’s anywhere near as stiff as a maxle. Recommended ‘good maintenance and regular check that qr is tight …..’
    Have found their advice good, they’re all good regular hard riders.
    …. thought you’d like another opinion.
    cheers
    Q

Stoner
    Free Member

I would add two further specifics to the QR check regime:
    1) check your QR screw nut is “tight” on the thread – i.e. cannot be wound/unwound by vibration
    2) check the cam of the lever is not worn on the face that is in contact with the cam pusher when the QR is closed. If this is worn then it is theoretically possible to feel the QR is tightly closed when pushing the lever over the cam, when in fact the skewer is under only very light tension and so providing less clamping force than ideally needed.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Well, I’ll stick with Hope QR for now then. I did, at the end of the day, ride my FS for hundreds of miles in real mountains with discs fitted and never thought about it twice. Cheers, everyone!

Christowkid
    Free Member

HC: Actually seen one of these DT Swiss axle things yesterday at another lbs….. they have them because some bikes are using them as part of original kit supplied with bike. They showed me how it worked, sort of winding up the qr handle then lifting it back on a ratchet to tighten it back up again. They had no opinion as to better/worse etc. and again reinforced the bit about checking your qr was ok to begin with, and never known a qr to pop out a wheel.
    ….and DT Swiss front axle is ~ £30!

Have come to the same conclusion as you – will continue with my XT qr, making sure it is tight!
    Great minds think alike!
    cheers
    Q

scruff
    Free Member

Ive got a DT 10mm RWS thingy on my bike, its a bit stiffer but not much and as I have never had a QR come undone I cant say its more secure. Maybe worth it if you need a new Hub / wheel building up or have a flexy frame AND have good LBS prices.

Christowkid
    Free Member

scruff: I did see a post a few days back where someone actually *did* have the DT Swiss thing undone, so it’s not cast iron that they are more secure.
    I vaguely looked at some maxle equipped forks, but only casually as was browsing in lbs as only got current forks in the early summer. Am using U turn coil rev’s, but as the new 09 versions are coming through, it seems Pike’s are coil only, Rev’s air only, and they’ve upped the travel to 140mm – which would invalidate my frame if I used them and have problems…… and seem to have had a price hike too!
    More costs involved, and other validity issues too – that avenue of upgrading is out then.

Conclusion: As with Hairy – will use what I’ve got and be vigilant!
    cheers

Q

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DT OS QR axle – secure?’ is closed to new replies.