Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DT and MAVIC Rim Spoke Lengths
  • skylark
    Free Member

I wish to quickly pick on someone’s wheel building experience here if I may.

What is the difference in spoke lengths between a DT RR 1.1 (RR415, RR465) and an Open Pro? It is a traditional 3x build.

Just wishing to know if I can get a way with the spokes that I already have when switching rims one for the other.

Thx

nixie

Use one of the online spoc calcs. Some have rims details on them. Run calcs for the 2 different rims on the same hub (hub type should not matter as you are doing a comparison of the rim). If the numbers are the same its all good. Otherwise its probably a no.

amedias
    Free Member

DT RR 1.1 / 415 ERD is 599mm
    Open Pro is ERD is 605mm (it’s listed as 602mm but Mavic measure funny and don’t include nipple bed so you need to add 3mm 🙄 )

The actual poke length difference will depend on the hub, more so if you have particularly odd hubs with extreme spoke angles involved ie: very big flange etc. but assuming ‘normalish’ size hubs the spoke length difference is likely 3-4mm shorter on the DT rims

Throw the details into some online spoke calculators (EDD, or the DT one etc.) and have a play to confirm, but probably pushing it to try and re-use your spokes, whichever way round you’re swapping as you’ll either be too short or too long for the new rim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

RR415 ERD 603* (dtswiss 240s 32 hole 3 cross)
    Left spoke length: 296.9
    Right spoke length: 296.9

RR415/RR465 ERD 599 (dtswiss 240s 32 hole 3 cross)
    Left spoke length: 294.9
    Right spoke length: 294.9

* there were 3 versions of the open pro with ERD of 602/3/4

Edit: and see +3mm from Amedias’ post above

ninfan
    Free Member

To be a little clearer there – Mavic don’t publish an ERD, they publish SSD (spoke support diameter) on their tech-docs

SSD+3mm = ERD

its like that because different nipples have different depths, but for ‘most’ the 3mm works fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DT and MAVIC Rim Spoke Lengths’ is closed to new replies.