Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DT 240 hub adapters
  • granny_ring

Are these a simple push fit change ala Hope?

mboy
    Free Member

Depends on the model of hub. Some are, some aren’t.

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, but depending on the age of the hub, some standards/adaptors also require a new axle. For example, the older rear hubs require a new axle for 142×12, even older front hubs can’t be adapted for 15mm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    granny_ring

Oh right cheers.
    Thinking about getting some 240s hubs, need the front to be 20mm for now and 15mm if I get some pikes and rear 135×10 for now and perhaps 142×12 in future.
    If I have to get axles then I’ll give it a miss.

Northwind

The 20mm fronts are screw on rather than push fit. All the rears are pushfit. I think the default front hub now is the QR/15mm only one but there is a QR/15/20 too.

Any hub you get today should have the 12mm compatible rear axle I think, the 10mm version’s been out of production for years. It’s really just something to watch for if buying used- more so than most because the hubs last forever but then that’s its own advantage.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The qr only front hubs are easy to identify, the hub body is narrow. Also, an axle change on older rears is very easy.

granny_ring

Ok ta, had a look on the DT site and yep front 240 is 15mm max size and rear is push fit.
    Thanks for help.

Northwind

Just for clarity, DT240 isn’t 15mm max- there’s a 15mm max version but also the 20mm “oversize” one which is a few grams heavier

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’m on my second set of 240s wheels came on my first Bronson & never had any issues at all, the hubs are superb, reliable spin very freely & my second set feel the same, end caps are a breeze to change / swap over.
    I’ve been running Roval Fattie Sl wheels lately which have a re badged DT Hub, same internals same reliability & free rolling feel to them, I wouldn’t hesitate in buying them grannyring.

Been onto Roval guy in the US & he’s confirmed they are bringing out end caps to convert to 148 with a disc spacer & bolts as a kit which is good news & adaptors for the front to go to 115.

granny_ring

Yeah saw that hub Northwind, sorry was on about the 240s.

hatter

The ‘standard’ front DT hub is Centrelock and as such a 20 mm axle doesn’t really fit, that’s why it can’t be adapted.

The 6-bolt ‘oversize’ version however, has plenty of room and can easily be switched between 15, 20 and 9 mm thru axles or a standard Q/R.

The centre-lock version is floaty light though, so if 20 mm compatibility isn’t a concern that’s the one to go for.

granny_ring

Yep checked the DT site again and yep centrelock hub is 15mm max and the IS hub up to 20mm. Cheers guys.

Hopes are sooo much easier 🙂

Northwind

@hatter- the centrelock hubs are a wee bit lighter but the discs are usually heavier, it pretty much balances out with DT but at the expense of choice. Centrelock maybe 10g lighter or so I think

granny_ring

Ok if I got This hub, is it a case of just unscrewing the qr adapters and screwing in the 15mm ones or does it need an axle change, think it’s just adapters?

I have a weigh up later Northwind, didn’t realise that!

hatter

Depends on what rotors you use, Shimano’s lightest XTR rotors are centrelock only, you can also only get the FREEZA rotors in CL.

If you want use 6-bolt rotors then the DT Swiss CL hub with DT’s adaptor is lighter than the 6-bolt hub rotor bolts.

Then you have both options and the best of both worlds…. so long as you don’t need to run a 20 mm front axle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DT 240 hub adapters’ is closed to new replies.