Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DSLR Lenses
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Looking for my next Lens for my Canon 1100D . Currently have the Kit Lens (18-55) and a Sigma 55-200. Now both these cover the focal length I want but I find the kit lens very poor in low light. So looking for a affordable replacement. Use as a walk around lens. Thought about a 50mm prime, but that’s 80mm on a crop sensor. Any suggestions new or used but not over £200

Russell96

I’m well impressed with the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 I am using on a Nikon but Sigma also do it on the Canon mount, brand new its about £300 so second hand should be in your price range I guess.

butcher

The 50mm 1.8 is a great bargain lens. I just this week replaced mine after breaking the last one. But yes, as a general walkabout lens it’s a bit tight.

I also have a 28mm 2.8, which is quite a good walkabout lens, at least for a prime. It fits most situations. Had it a few years now, and I can’t remember how much it was, but I don’t think it’s that much more than £200.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Which would be the better bet then a Sigma or the 28mm Prime. I mean the 18-55 is great for most stuff but the image quality compared to my Sigma Zoom is pish.

Russell96

Taken through the poly tunnel in very bright sunlight, I’m quite happy with this

Cougar

Nifty fifty is the right answer. It’s rude not to.

I wouldn’t sweat the crop factor too much; it’s towards the end of your kit lens, you already know what it looks like. Your 18-55 is subject to the same crop that a prime would be.

Russell96

Download this and view it at 100% 17mm at F4 I’m really impressed with the extra detail over my original kit lens

http://www.russellb.co.uk/Pics2014/July/23/DSC_0788.jpg

Cougar

Taken through the poly tunnel in very bright sunlight, I’m quite happy with this

A circular polariser would’ve made that tunnel mostly disappear I expect. Best “not much money” I’ve spent on my camera is a CPOL to fit my kit lens.

mudmuncher

Canon 50mm F1.4, great lens, brilliant for portraits on a crop sensor. I used this lens 90% of the time on my 30D before it died (the camera not the lens). F1.4 gives really shallow depth of field which makes subjects stand out from the background – can shoot indoors without flash no problem. If you want to go a bit cheaper the 50mm F1.8 is nearly as good.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

So I’d be better with say two primes for each end of my kit lenses focal length?

Cougar

Depends what you want to take pictures of.

Russell96

I have a circular polariser to fit it but that was without it, other trick is to use a rubber lens hood.

I’m trying to make the point that you can still have a walkabout zoom lens that is miles better than the kit without breaking the bank. I love my 35 and 50 primes but still the Sigma is dammed good.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Range of things. Reptiles we keep without having to resort to flash in low light. Street scenes and for holiday in Rhodes

geetee1972
    Free Member

I love prime lenses for everyday use and would also recommend one based in what you’ve already got. Your two options would be either 35mm or 50mm, pretty standard lengths so lots of choice. The 35mm will give you the equivalent of 50mm on your sensor and would be the better choice if you wanted to use it primarily for street photography and general snaps while out and about. The 50mm would be the better choice if you were going to use it primarily for portraits. Portraits work better with a longer lens as the foreshortening effect of the focal length compresses facial features and results in a more flattering presentation.

I’ve had in the last a Nikon D200 with 50mm lens that opened all the way up to f1.4. It was brilliant for portraits but while f1.4 really gives you hand holding options you wouldn’t otherwise have, you do have to watch the depth of field. You can end up focusing on the eyes and still have the nose and other features blurred.

F1,8 would be cheaper and only marginally less flexible and even then only really valid on the 50mm for portraits. I going for a 35mm, I’d suggest you could easily work with something like f2.8 or maybe f2.

Sigma lenses tend to be a lot cheaper than OEM lenses as well.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

The 35mm is slightly out of my price range 🙁 what about the 40mm?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DSLR Lenses’ is closed to new replies.