Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DSLR case for aeroplane
  • kevj
    Free Member

I’m away later this year and I am looking to take my Nikon and a few lenses with me.

As the camera is going in the hold, I would like to buy a sturdy case for it. I’ve heard good things about the peli storm case.

Anyone own one of these who can provide a review and suggest what size case I need for 1 camera and two spare lenses?

Also, is the foam worth the extra money?

Cheers!

grum
    Free Member

I believe Maplin were doing cheap peli style cases a little while back – there was quite a few people over on talkphotography that bought them and seemed happy. Not sure if they are still cheap.

kevj
    Free Member

Do you know if the quality of the maplin case is comparable?

I’ll take a look on the maplin site now….

footflaps

Peli case inside cheap kit bag – the Peli cases scream out ‘expensive kit, please steal me’.

EDIT I’d keep the body with you in hand luggage and only pack what you have to – insurance companies have so many get outs re traveling
    with camera kit eg most pro packages require pre-approval for each trip etc.

MrSmith
    Free Member

don’t get a peli, they are massively heavy. i fly a fair bit with 2xdslr 2×2.8 zooms and 3x tilt shift lenses plus bits and laptop.
    i have tried lots of bags (tamrac/crumpler/peli/lowe-pro and numerous others) finally settled on a thinktank roller case which is superb as it doesn’t rock side to side like the lowe-pro or peli and the handle is long enough (unlike the peli) for a 6ft’er not to stoop.
    i also use a lowepro backpack with laptop compartment, don’t know the model but it’s similar to a pro-runner3 i actually use this as a carry-on and put tripod and clothes/chargers/batteries in the thinktank. the thinktank is technically a carry on size but it draws attention and will get weighed and be over the limit whereas the back-pack doesn’t. the peli will be over the limit with just a few bits of kit in it.

thinktank bags/cases cost a bit more but are worth paying for imho.

jmason
    Free Member

Calumet do some good hard flight cases at very good prices

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve got a peli 1520 with most of the foam in it – £50 if you can pick it up in Bristol or we could sort something.

Cougar

When I went on holiday recently I took my camera gear in a rucksack as hand luggage. given the number of bootprints on my suitcase when I later got that off the carousel, I feel this was a wise precaution.

kevj
    Free Member

MrSmith, I was looking at a iM2400 which comes in at 3.5kg which I thought was reasonable for a hard case?

Is the thinktank a hard shell or more of a bag type case?

kevj
    Free Member

TooTall,
    It’s going to be a ‘gift’ from my wife, she has vouchers from Amazon from a refund so I’m tied, but thank you for the offer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith, I was looking at a iM2400 which comes in at 3.5kg which I thought was reasonable for a hard case?

Is the thinktank a hard shell or more of a bag type case?

the thinktanks are well padded bags/rucksacks/roller cases not hard cases.
    that peli looks like it would be a pain to carry once you start filling it up. i would only use hard cases for the hold, at least with a rucksack/bag you can use it once you get to your destination, you wouldn’t walk around with or shoot out of a peli.

kevj
    Free Member

i would only use hard cases for the hold, at least with a rucksack/bag you can use it once you get to your destination, you wouldn’t walk around with or shoot out of a peli.

I have a decent backpack for when out walking which I will be using for hand luggage on the plane. I wanted a hardcase for the hold and I liked the.idea for storing the cameras at home when not in use.

Cheers for all the replies.

MrSmith
    Free Member

check your insurance covers your camera equipment in the hold. i would buy the TSA padlocks for whatever case you use.

BoardinBob

Aside from a hard case, wouldn’t the internals be at risk from being dropped? Cracking mirrors, lenses etc from being flung about? I wouldn’t fancy putting my SLR in the hold.

kevj
    Free Member

Boardin Bob, that’s a fair point actually. I may need to re think this…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DSLR case for aeroplane’ is closed to new replies.