Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Drying out a Thermarest?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Mines bound to be damp inside, any ideas for drying it out?

If I could inflate it, stick a balloon over the valve with some silicone gel inside?

johnners
    Free Member

Roll it up as tight as you can, let it self-inflate as fully as possible(no blowing!), leave it a while. Repeat at intervals and do it somewhere warm if you can so it’s filling with warm dry air. Can’t see the balloon doing much, air doesn’t circulate much in a foam mat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My idea is not about air movement but the silica gel drawing the moisture out.

It’s a modern one, not self inflating

scotroutes

Hang it with the valve at the bottom, near a dehumidifier. Though I like your silica gel idea.

(And buy an inflation bag for it)

pocpoc
    Free Member

It’s a modern one, not self inflating

Have I missed something in the development of Thermarests? Isn’t that just an air bed? Do they still have foam in?4
    EDIT: Mine’s about 15 years old an called “original” – it’s not exactly light

cynic-al
    Free Member

(And buy an inflation bag for it)

I have one – but I tend to blow into it. I don’t have (or want) a dehumidifier.

pocpoc – I think most of them are airbeds these days, the early ones were self inflating with foam.

martinhutch

Vacuum cleaner nozzle taped over the valve, pull all the air out of the foam, let it refill by itself, repeat.

I suppose it could be a bit mildewy inside, just don’t breathe in by mistake while you’re inflating it. If it does have mould inside, it won’t be going away.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

leave it inflated with the valve open? It will dry out eventually

cynic-al
    Free Member

It is not a foam one (see 3rd post).

How do they stay inflated with the valve open?

boblo
    Free Member

Why? Mebbies slight risk of Legionnaires disease but otherwise, so long as it’s not adding weight, why bother?

globalti
    Free Member

I gave my pal and his wife Thermarests as a wedding gift 27 years ago and both are still going strong despite repeated use all over the world. I really wouldn’t worry about moisture inside.

cynic-al
    Free Member

boblo – Member

Why? Mebbies slight risk of Legionnaires disease but otherwise, so long as it’s not adding weight, why bother?

It’s something you are told to avoid…isn’t it?

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

It’s something you are told to avoid…isn’t it?

Leaving them damp inside or Legionnaires? I wouldn’t have thought there’s a serious risk of the latter and the former is inevitable if you blow them up by mouth. Is this a NeoAir or one of the old foamie types?

If it’s a NeoAir, there’s nothing inside to soak up moisture. It’s plastic/nylon/metalised material. I wouldn’t worry too much unless it’s a foamie that’s sodden inside and then I’d probably junk it as there’s no real sensible way to dry them inside.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a Trekker – neoair style.

T1000
    Free Member

What has happened to stws ingenuity! Are the glory days of brake mounts fabricated from spoons over!

Make an inline dryer, cut the top half from two 2litre bottles fill with rice tape together and connect one end to thermarest and inflate and deflate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Drying out a Thermarest?’ is closed to new replies.