Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Drying commutting kit at work
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Our changing facilities have just been refurbished at work. Whereas previously it was old school open plan pegs above benches we’ve now got individual lockers.

Don’t want to sound ungrateful but putting damp commuting kit and wet towels in a locker isn’t working and nothings drying out properly.
    Anybody experiencing a similar problem? The lockers are quite well vented with lots of holes so was wondering about a rechargeable fan or some silica gel crystals

Any ideas?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Back of a spare chair in the office…

hairylegs
    Free Member

Back of a spare chair in the office…

LOL …tried that and got short shrift from Miss prissy knickers!

twisty

I hang my clothes on my bike.
    They’d dry better in the office but I don’t want to subject my colleagues to my sweaty gear.

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is one of the biggest problems I have in the winter when commuting or any time in now ideal weather. We have zero changing facilities and I don’t like to inflict my wet gear on others in a shared office.

I just end up hanging my wet stuff over my bike but that is only possible as we have a blessed me stand and very little chance of anyone stealing dirty kit.

STATO
    Free Member

Is there an air-con vent near the lockers? get them to run an outlet into the individual lockers. Through flow of dry air will keep the smell down and dry items quite well.

joemmo
    Free Member

our office has an electric drying cabinet in the changing room for this. It’s crammed full at the moment – as the are bike sheds because its summer – but is a reasonably effective way to de-dampen clothes and towels. Obviously depends on your employer and if they have the space and inclination to get something like this installed but they do exist and work.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sticky hooks stuck to the side of the lockers and hang your kit on them? That’s what I do.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have underground secure parking.

I hang my wet (winter) or sweaty (summer) kit over my bike that I park next to the massive fans/vents that circulate fresh air into the car park.

It’s like being in a cold air tumble dryer all day. They are bone dry come the evening.

your alternative option is to have two sets of kit, one in the morning and then a fresh set in the evening.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I fling my kit in the opposite pipe chase, assuming you work in a power station that’s what I would do. Otherwise, can you perhaps find a toasty service duct to stash it in?

Or just bring in a hanger and pop the stuff on your door. Or put a couple of pegs through the holes in the door.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder if you could shove it all in a big tub with a load of rice or silica gel. Might work.

Drac

Ask them about their green initiative and why they aren’t encouraging cycling. Then walk out of the office naked and remember why you retired the first time.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Obviously depends on your employer and if they have the space and inclination to get something like this installed

Having spent £40 odd K on the refurb they’re not overly inclined to provide any further facilities. Shame that they didn’t listen to the users when spec’ing it as I’m sure the drying problem would have come up.

Oggles
    Free Member

Damp stuff gets draped on the workstation under my desk. Gets reasonably warm, enough to dry a few bits by the end of the day.

Luckily we have rads in our locker room, but the heating is off in ‘summer’.

JAG

We also have…..

electric drying cabinet

in our changing facilities. Very much like the drying cabinets found in Ski Lodges.

They work very well even when they’re very full!

TiRed

We have a dedicated drying cabinet for clothes. Works great.

whatgoesup

We have this issue.

My solution is to rig up some zip ties so there’s a “loop” hanging down outside the locker and I have a clother hanger on that which I hang my kit on.

The towel get thrown over a handy bracket that is supporting the lockers. All this is fine in summer when there’s not much to dry, but less effective in winter once there’s more clothes to deal with.

aazlad
    Free Member

Server room (unless its air conditioned). Just don’t get caught by I.T.!

hairylegs
    Free Member

Server room (unless its air conditioned)

God … are there any server rooms not air cond’ed? I work in a very security sensitive industry and have no chance of getting into the server room

Looks like the hanging stuff on outside of locker might be worth a shout but can imagine if everyone did it Facilities would have something to say about it!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Over the back of a computer monitor used to work well before they all went flat screen low power. I’d just tell Miss Prissy Knickers to **** off.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Over the back of a computer monitor

Bloody hell …our H&S would have a melt down!!

tell Miss Prissy Knickers to **** off.

She’d go running straight to HR! She had a total meltdown when, in total jest, someone addressed her as the Office Bitch when it came to the tea round.

Time for a thread on Office Etiquette?

fathomer

Damp sweaty kit gets hung over the spare chair next to me.

Having no where to dry really wet kit is the main reason I don’t commute in if it’s raining as it will just drip all over the carpets.

I’d love to start making demands for facilities but as I’m the only person that commutes by bike, and no one else ever would, it isn’t going to happen.

aP
    Free Member

Next to PC on the floor, over back of chair, small home made coat hanger rack under the desk…

dazh

Our cloakroom has both a heater and dehumidifier so doubles up as a drying room 🙂 (also got a workstand and full toolkit in the bike lockup!)

At my previous place there was no cloakroom or lockers so I had to put everything in a bag wet then put it back on at the end of the day, as well as taking my towel home and bringing it back the next day.

tomd
    Free Member

Wear the damp stuff from your locker home until you develop fungal crotch rot of some kind. Get signed off work and report it as a work place lost time injury. Drive change that way.

cookeaa

We’ve a shed load of floor standing drying racks in our change/drying room
    Like this:

Plus they fold up and can be shoved in the lockers if necessary…

NZCol

Same in my office, absolutely nowhere to hang anything to dry. I hang it where I can and when complaints are made I refer them back to the fact there is nowhere to set anything so what else am I supposed to do.

luket

Perhaps try more decorative kit. Alpkit’s Rhythm undershorts have a naan in fetching orange with big white polka dots. A pair of them stretched inside-out across the back of a chair brightens up my office no end.

(colleagues’ opinions may vary)

ElVino

We just purchased one of these for our locker room, not sure how it will go or smell. Need to get it PAT tested though pretty regularly and have someone switch it off every evening.
    Lakeland heated drying rack

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Firstly I tried to wear kit that didn’t stink – merino or merino mix tops make a big difference.

Then you go about finding or moving furniture…. a few of us shared a small modern freestanding ‘wardrobe’ on wheels for a couple of years that was pretty well ventilated and worked well. It doesn’t have to be near your desk – it spent some time near a printing area and some under a staircase.

I’ve moved filing cabinets to create an out of the way space at the end or behind and stuck on some hooks. Then use hangers. Likewise moved my bank of desks slightly to give space to hang stuff off the end.

– Coat-stands and hangers.
    – radiators are great but not many buildings have them.

Gotama
    Free Member

Take a clothes hanger in. Stick the hanging end through the locker holes and hang your clothes on the dangly bit. If everyone does it then they’ll soon realise they need a drying cabinet!

mattbrk
    Free Member

I have two sticky hooks on the door of my locker and hang bits on them.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Drying commutting kit at work’ is closed to new replies.