• This topic has 42 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • dry road ride or manky mtb one ????
  • iainc

when faced with this decision…… 🙂

everything here in west of Scotland is sodden after the weather battering the last few days, but by tea time, when I may be able to get out for a ride, I can go from the door on road/cx, with temp of around 7 degrees and dry roads, for an hour or so. Alternatively a half hour drive and MTB on my ‘local’ trails, which are a mudfest, drive home, clean bike etc etc..

first world problem I know 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Road

sputnik
    Free Member

Road for 2 hours

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s what trail centres were invented for

iainc

it’s what trail centres were invented for

indeed, but none handy for an evening jaunt, apart from Cathkin, which is a bit limited apart from for a quick 1 hr blast

andyv
    Free Member

Road with a trail/brideway sections thrown in. Its what CX (and 29ers) are made for.

I found i’ve driven to much less trails since i’ve gone to big wheels and am ranging further and further afield mixing road/offroad in some excellent diesel free rides 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Road,

not rode my mtb since December 3rd

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m with sputnik on this. If you have time to drive to somewhere for an hour on the mountain bike, you have time for two hours on the road bike. Less faff, more bike time. Seems like an easy decision to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(and 29ers) are made for.

29’s don’t make the roads come alive it’s still dull riding a mountain bike on the road.

fasthaggis

You knew the answer before you posted ,didn’t you ?

..enjoy the road ride 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Best of both worlds by taking your road bike out and aiming for all the muddy puddles?

iainc

Looks like my ‘inner guilt’ over opting for a road ride is unfounded 🙂

road it will be !

Junkyard
    Free Member

Same ish here and I choose MTB but I dont have to drive.

If I had to drive probably road bike.

iainc

if the roads are proper dry I may even take the good bike out for it’s first of 2015, rather than the cx/tourer….

mrblobby
    Free Member

This is STW… so obviously it’s road 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

indeed, but none handy for an evening jaunt, apart from Cathkin, which is a bit limited apart from for a quick 1 hr blast Neither a trail centre, or any fun

FTFY Iain. Man up and ride the mud, next you’ll be playing bloody golf.

iainc

^^^^ 🙂 golf, never….

jools182
    Free Member

Road

nowt worse than traipsing through bogs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Karma laws state quite clearly that to qualify for dusty, fast, rocky rides in summer, you have to take one for the team. 😀

iainc

Nobeer – you can do an extra one for me 🙂

fasthaggis

if the roads are proper dry I may even take the good bike out for it’s first of 2015, rather than the cx/tourer….

It’s going to rain when you are 20 minutes out then 😛

tomd
    Free Member

It seems like folk are starting from the premise that cycling is meant to be an enjoyable activity. Get the mountain bike out.

iainc

tom – muddy Mugdock though, not yer dusty East Lothian stuff 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At least if you go to mugdock, you don’t have to look at East Kilbride! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Road, I keept rying to get out after work and failing miserably.

Had a sense of humour failure this winter with MTBing, just didn’t want to be out there shin deep in frozen mud for 3 hours at a time detroying cassettes, and never sorted the mudguards on my road bike.

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    At least if you go to mugdock, you don’t have to look at East Kilbride! 🙂

aye, but I see it every morning when I open the curtains, and thank my lucky stars it ain’t the shire 🙂

robj20
    Free Member

Mountain bike, no matter the weather. Road is just so boring, and only ever used to get to and from trails.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dirty and filthy every time for me 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

dry road.

you can’t expect a trail to deliver perfect summer conditions if it’s been hammered all winter.

(unless by ‘perfect’ you mean ’12ft wide and heavily rutted’)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Road is just so boring,

It’s like MTB’ing, go ride something steep, narrow and twisty with friends. Riding a straight flat trail on your own ir pretty boring too. If riding any bike is boring you’re doing it wrong.

iainc

Road is just so boring, and only ever used to get to and from trails.

– the inference is that your road riding is on a MTB, which I agree isn’t very fulfilling. I do however love getting out on the local quiet roads (or any other quiet roads for that matter) on a road bike, particularly if the conditions are good for it, hence my earlier musings 🙂

swamptin
    Free Member

Take your CX bike down the local DH line. Be sure to pull a nice whipped out hip from the hoods while you’re at it.

DT78
    Free Member

Road without doubt. Just back from a 2hr spin, put the lovely summer wheels back on and flew. It means when I do mtb I enjoy it much much more as I tend to only go when conditions are good now (or go to a trail centre). Also means my fitness is massively better so I can enjoy those mtb rides even more! I’m sat here day dreaming about one of the local trails (qecp) drying out and destroying my pb because of all the road training I’ve done.

mtbel
    Free Member

Wind speed and leg freshness is the deciding factor between Road and mtb for me.
    I like mud and rain doesn’t bother me on or off road tho.
    if strapped for time, BMX as it needs zero preparation before and no change of clothes or cleaning afterwards.

Mister-P
    Free Member

As the weather is looking rather spring like I’m going to leave the sensible commuter at work and take one of these out instead –

No guards = raining 20 minutes after leaving home. So I apologise to those caught in a downpour around 5.45pm this evening.

mtbel
    Free Member

no guards = a wet arse and no mates.
    kind of how I imagine a lot of folk on here’s childhoods 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

no guards = a wet arse and no mates.
    kind of how I imagine a lot of folk on here’s childhoods

Unfortunately guards = dry arse and no mates

mtbel
    Free Member

😥

[hug] for Mr P

iainc

The road won 🙂 25 miles on dry quiet hilly back roads from home. Dry and clean bike after just a 2 minute wipe down with a towel. Sorted !

robj20
    Free Member

It’s like MTB’ing, go ride something steep, narrow and twisty with friends. Riding a straight flat trail on your own ir pretty boring too. If riding any bike is boring you’re doing it wrong.

Riding on tarmac does nothing for me. I want rocky tricky sections, jumps and drops.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘dry road ride or manky mtb one ????’ is closed to new replies.