Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Dry January ?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Anyone want to donate to my “Don’t openly masturbate on trains” February?

jimster01

Well, I was going to give it a go, but after the shit couple of weeks we’ve had I’m setting myself up to fail.

IdleJon

Danny79 – Member
    I thought the charity angle was you donated some of the cash you’d saved by staying off the pop. Why would I sponsor someone not to drink seems a bit daft?

This is the way I understood it, as well. Save £20 a week by not drinking? Give it to charity.

MrSmith
    Free Member

theres drinking and theres drinking, ill probably not spend any days consuming the amounts i did some days over xmas, but im not gonna deprive myself of the small pleasures like a nice glass of red with my tea, the post ride pint or the gin & tonic on the train home after a long week away. f that

that’s sensible drinking of which i’m an advocate. if people drank sensibly then there would be no need to have a dry january. all you need to do is not binge on alcohol just because it’s the ‘festive season’

CountZero

I don’t drink that much, I might get some beers in and have one in the evening, but I really enjoy the couple of pints I have with a mate in my local, on a Friday and Saturday evening, and the pint I often have in a handy pub after a Sunday afternoon walk, and I’ll be damned if I’ll give it up just because some hand-wringing, finger-wagging nanny-state know-it-all tells me what’s good for me. They can sod off. I’m possibly drinking a bit more now than a year or two ago, and I’m now able to wear jeans I bought thirty-five years ago, a 30″ waist, and my usual 32″ jeans are really pretty loose.

themilo
    Free Member

Well I’m doing it. I need to break the cycle that I’ve slipped into. Every night. Glass of wine. Maybe another. Oh, I’ve drunk the lot. Maybe will just have another small glass out of that other bottle…………..

I’m also using it as the springboard to lay off the bread. And the cheese. And run 3 times a week. And eat more veg.

Believe me, it’s a challenge. Still, 6 days in.

Sponsor me to make a positive change on my lifestyle, my health and my bank balance? No, don’t think so.

Not consciously restricting this to January either. We will see.

boltonjon

i’m doing it – not for charity or any bollox like that – just because i’ve been caning it for years and its time to give the liver a chance to recuperate

30 days and it’ll back up to fighting fitness 🙂

mogrim

Not going for a dry January this year, but will be trying not to exceed government recommendations. I don’t usually drink Mon-Thur anyway (outside of festive season), just need to cut down a bit at weekends. Why? Health, money, lose those 2kg I’ve put on over xmas…

crankboy
    Free Member

crankygirl is doing it not sponsored or anything just having a break from alcohol for a month so i am doing it by default without making any promises.
    It seems a very odd thing to get sponsored for.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, it’s Saturday night, anyone fell off the wagon yet? 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not on the wagon 😆

Last night was a cracking pint of proper Hampshire ale, just the one mind.
    Tonight, large Vodka n Tonic.

Thats it for the week so far, for me thats pretty good as occasionally I’ll have a whiskey double on a Weds too but this week I just didn’t as I was out watching Star Wars again.

Celebration weekend next weekend and I dare say a couple of bottles of sparkles with be popped..

rOcKeTdOg

No alcohol has passed my lips since the 1st, gave up crisps too. I’ve lost 3lb in weight! 😯

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    So, it’s Saturday night, anyone fell off the wagon yet? 😀

Nope !! Going to keep it going till my big birthday 4 weeks today 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

I’m doing it – I’ve been knocking back a bottle of red a night and that needs to change. It has been easy so far because I realise I want to make a change.

I’m sleeping better and feeling better. Good luck to all out there who are doing Dry January with me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not doing the dry month per se, but I probably won’t have a drink as I’ve decided to stop drinking at home, only socially from now on. Makes more sense to me, sustainable but at the same time I’ll drink a hell of a lot less.
    I don’t go out much, but I’ll look forward to it now.

Too easy for a couple of glasses of wine to lead into a few ales fri, sat and sun for me. Lose weight, save money, but most importantly – feel fresh for biking in the morning!.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Sorry MrSalmon, bit of a late reply, i was going out three nights a week and usually drinking 2-3 pints and the odd beer at home.
    A bloody lightweight compared to some on here, the reason i stopped was because i wanted six pack abs and consuming 200 calories for every pint it was never going to happen.
    Gotta go, off up the gym to destroy blokes half my age on the pull up bar. 😉

mattbee

I had crept up to the same as Cranberry, sinking between half and a full bottle of red pretty much every night.
    I’m not intending to give up drinking completely, but I do need to stop drinking quite so much. It’s as much about the weight gain for me as anything else. Recently getting out n the road more has meant digging out the Lycra instead of baggies and it was a bit shocking seeing what my side profile has become. Not quite as many flat bits as there used to be.
    Had a few glasses of wine last night, which was the first since last weekend. Will probably not drink again until end f next week, when we go away for a week for my wife’s 40th.

yunki
    Free Member

I used to drink heavily..
    Only socially at the pub but daily and minimum 7 or 8 pints per sitting..

I stopped completely when the kids came along, but the last 18 months I have been in a new relationship and my partner drinks wine at home in the evening to wind down..
    I’ve joined her in this and it’s surprisingly habit forming..

Gonna have a crack at changing the ritual this year although I won’t be doing it in this regimented fashion

For me it’s financial in the main, but I’m also very averse to being at the mercy of any habitual behaviour

langylad
    Free Member

7 days in, isn’t reality scary 😉

Alpha1653

I agreed to this whilst drunk on New Years Eve. When I told my wife, she reminded me that this weekend was my sister’s 40th birth celebrations; next weekend we are skiing; and at the end of the month, we’re going to a Burn’s Night dinner which means whisky… She also told me I was an idiot.

Anyway, I lasted until the night of the 8th. Oh well.

MrOvershoot

We had our night ride group Crimbo night out last night so the no drink went out the window as the venue is a CAMRA award winner this year 🙂

Tell you what though, a week off the booze soon turns you into a lightweight 😮
    4 pints & I was very merry.

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m still on the wagon- no alcohol since 30th December for me.
    This is the longest I’ve gone without it for years, and definitely feeling better and sleeping better.
    Good luck to all who are sticking with it.

iainc

over 2 weeks in so far 🙂

how y’all getting on with it ?

freeagent
    Free Member

Fine, not touched a drop since NYE.
    Mind you, I often go months without drinking anyway, so ‘Dry January’ is more like ‘ordinary January’ for me.

I’m missing the crisps + Chocolate though!!

the-muffin-man

Fine here too, nothing since new year, just fizzy mineral water and coffee.

Having the lurgy for over a week may have helped though!

crankboy
    Free Member

still sticking to not agreeing i am doing it but not drinking either but i have agreed to a works social on the 29th so no way i will do the whole month.

sleeping heavier and wife says i am thinner.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Still dry, was going perfectly but had the thought after my cheeky ‘use the hols up’ ride today of a celebratory pint and bag of crisps. DENIED! 🙁

M6TTF
    Free Member

not drank since New Years eve, and yes it is hard! Not so much the week days, but the beer on a friday night after work is sorely missed. For those doing Dryathlon, you are allowed a drink apparently – you just have to donate 20 quid for the privilege!

iainc

aye, Friday night routine of home and a couple of G’n’T’s and a few glasses of wine is quite hard to forget about !

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

As people say, its not just the bevvies its the crap you eat while drinking, crisps, nuts, bombay mix etc.

I have still not had a drink in Jan, was 12.8 on Jan 1st now 12.1.

Im 6ft and was not over weight to start with, done on ave 15 hrs a week on the bike for the last 3 weeks as well which is up about 4-5 hrs than normal.

Feel better for it and my power to weight is obv a lot better.

Still fancy a beer badly though 🙂

crossland
    Free Member

Still doing okay here, no alcohol since nye, which was challenging as we were away in France last weekend, where aperos, wine and digestives are the norm. Sleeping much better.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’m keeping on keeping on – sleeping very well, going to bed early getting up at 6 like it isn’t the middle of the night and getting into an out of work nice and early.

As a bonus, shopping is much cheaper when you’re not buying wine and the munchies to go with it.

boltonjon

Still dry also – nearly succumbed on Wednesday after a shitty day at work – but all good

Not noticed any benefits yet mind…

iainc

well I have managed to take just over a minute off my 1.5k swim time, but that aside no other noticeable differences 🙂

Burns nite at friends house this Friday, so that will be a challenge…..

rOcKeTdOg

Still going here, finding it easy tbh

Bregante

Mrs B and I hadn’t really started this as a conscious thing but other than a medicinal drop* in a single hot toddy for my man flu the other night we haven’t touched a drop.

*I don’t care whether you think that counts or not. I’m not counting it 😀

jamiep
    Free Member

Day 18. Smashed my previous world record of 12 consecutive days without drink, the longest since I was about 17yo. Finding it easy. But I feel no fitter/better, was already skinny. Pointless, really

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am settling for a ‘damp’ January. No more than 3 nights a week and a lot less on those nights

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Day 19…. Still dry but feel I could break really easily. Not sure why as normally when I’m off the booze, weight falls off me… I’m currently remaining the same which is really vexing! Have found I miss the idea of drinking… Ie a cheeky lunchtime pint….which I then thought hard about tasting it, I didn’t fancy it.
    Wondering if the shitty weather is trying to make my body hibernate and hang on to my body mass. Am eating healthily ( Mrs has me on no fish or meat) cycling 5 -10 miles a day and no booze. Why arnt I losing my Christmas podge!!!?

iain1775
    Free Member

Still going here apart from one small glass of red on Sunday evening, I felt rotten the next day
    Not deliberately doing dry January and will roll it over into Feb, March etc as I felt I really had to cut right back

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Dry January ?’ is closed to new replies.