Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Drumlamrig
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Not been for a few years. Utterly brilliant. There’s bits of the black route that I just can’t fathom. Nice to be away from the usual doable gravel trails too. That is all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Even better in the wet IMO. What do you mean you couldn’t fathom? Agreed, great trail.

BoardinBob

Love it

[video]http://vimeo.com/63515425[/video]

somafunk

Tiz that indeed, i was there last saturday and like you i had not been for a few years due to “other crap life stuff” getting in the way of bike riding, I had the pleasure of dusty, powdery trails and i found i still remembered the roots and best lines etc as if they were hardwired into my brain – so nice to ride in those dusty conditions and i can’t wait till we get a dribbling of rain to go back and have a giggle in the wet – this was my bike after a lap of the red and black trail…..no mud/dirt or splashes – i dusted it down and threw it in the car.

Going back this sunday wi a mate who’s just getting into riding so it should be fun.

bigjim

yeah it’s fantastic, was there on Sunday, t shirt, shorts, sun and dusty trails. Could quite happily spend all day looping the first black bit.

Northwind

It is brilliant isn’t it. Check out Comrie Croft too- it’s not the same, but it has a similiar feel to it in places. (ironically the skills area bit that Rik built feels nothing like Drumlanrig 😉 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I often feel that Rik’s wee pumpy section is rather out of place. Agree with bigjim re the black section, it’s great. I love the section with the bomb hole, straight into the steep, tight rooty switchback. Magic.

Diane
    Free Member

Was there last week – great stuff and agree much better when wet through 😀

stripeminister
    Free Member

I thought I remember it being really rooty all the way round, but that video seems proves me wrong…. Looks like I need another visit to refresh my memory…

stanfree
    Free Member

One of my favourite trails , theres no great real climbing to be done but you still feel like you have had a work out by the end of It. You also IMO need to think more about what line you take compared to most of Glentress especially when Its wet.

FieldMarshall

Rode it for the first time last weekend. Really dry and very different to 7 Stanes.

Speaking to Rik he is keen to put in a skills area, much like Comrie.

Be great for families, but wonder if it would slightly spoil the natural feel of the place.

kevster
    Free Member

Only went there once a few years back. Was on my own, decided to go there while the rest of the road trip group rode GT. It was a wet day but remember having a thoroughly great day. Can’t remember much of the trail. IIRC there isn’t much elevation but it’s different to most of the other trails there. Ideal as a warm up on the Friday before a weekends riding if on a road trip.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I have to get back there, went on a big AM bike and didn’t enjoy it in the slightest. Actually bailed out as both me an my mate were getting more and more bored with it. Quicker rolling bike and I’ll get back round there, see if I find it any different…

banginon

Considering that almost all of the red and black is either hand dug bench cut singletrack or digger built, there’s actually very little ‘natural’ trail at all.

‘Rik’s’ pumpy section is actually a really useful coaching area to find the skills for the rest of the place (which is basically one huge pump track) – it’s pretty hard to coach pump in amongst the roots as it can get a bit too ‘busy’ for folks that ain’t ready. By the way most of rest of the trail is ‘Rik’s’ as well 😉

The long term plan is to put in a lot more ‘green/blue’ very flowey singletrack to give the ‘family’ riders alot more fun fun fun, also some more faster floaty jumpy stuff.

A skills park is just that – a place to coach and practice skills.

Most of the trails I build are inspired in some way by shapes that I know and enjoy somewhere in the Drumlanrig trail network – sometimes i’ll build it bigger and probably a bit more obvious but the shapes are all there in amongst the rooty bits.

iainc

my fave place to ride within 90 mins of home 😆

igm

Rik – we need to come back and ride your trails again soon.

Northwind

bangin on – Member

Considering that almost all of the red and black is either hand dug bench cut singletrack or digger built, there’s actually very little ‘natural’ trail at all.

Is that a standard response chief? Nobody’s said “natural trails” in this thread, just “natural feel” which I reckon is a compliment to your work, Drum’s a masterclass. Wish we could build like that 🙂

gordonb
    Free Member

Is it really £6 to get in to ride the trails? You can tell how spoiled we are/ I am with our free mtb tracks that £6 seems quite steep!

banginon

The £6 is all that supports the creation and maintenance of the network of trails. Drumlanrig hasn’t been funded in any way by public money: unlike most, if not all of the other trail centres, whether on public or private land.

You get some pretty fine facilities along with some very sweet trails too – free maps and bike wash, clean toilets and showers; not to mention the gardens and adventure playground. It’s not really comparable with any where else really.

I’ll ‘bang on’ some more about the season ticket option which is only £25 for the whole year individual or £50 for a family..

Or you can join the bike club and put something back in to the local community for £20 ind £10 youth or £30 family which gets you access to park ride wash & go 🙂

If you don’t want to pay £6 there are plenty of Stanes and natural stuff around so no one’s being forced to part with their cash 😉

banginon

Very nice vid by the way Boardin Bob – good choice of tune too!!!! What’s the band??

BoardinBob

Bands called Foster The People and the track is Don’t Stop (colour the walls)

banginon

cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Drumlamrig’ is closed to new replies.