Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Drops with bar end shifters – what cable routing?
  • charliemort

Have a Fargo with woodchipper bars and bar end shifters

currently have cables routed around the bar under the bar tape, but shifting isn’t great – okay but a bit sticky. The outer is under a plastic guide thingumy which means tape isn’t pressing directly on the outer

would I be better routing the cables in a dirty great loop from the shifter to the stops on downtube, rather than under the tape? that would be a lot of cable flapping around!

STATO
    Free Member

I did mine under the tape, no bother at all. It was shimano SP41 outer and tandem length inners (everything else was too short for that outing on an XL frame).

charliemort

thanks

probably just time for new cables then. Mine’s a large and yes I needed a tandem inner too! and drivetrain isn’t exactly new either

benji
    Free Member

When I ran bar end shifters on a cross bike, the cables were only under about 6-8 inches of tape before exiting, doesn’t look pretty but it works.

johnnystorm

From the factory mine exited forward from the drops which made fitting a bar bag in a faff. When I rewrapped with new tape I put them so it exited along with the brakeouters near the bar clamp. Shift action was greatly improved so I’m concluding that the routing is not as important as having fresh cables and outers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Drops with bar end shifters – what cable routing?’ is closed to new replies.