Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Dropping the dropper.
  • jam-bo

Anyone tried it and gone back to a normal post?

tomhoward

Nope.

legend
    Free Member

Only well it’s been broken, life seems poorer without a dropper in it

ThePinkster

jam bo – Member

Burn the heretic for suggesting such wickedness!!!! 😉

jedi

i hate it without.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes on another bike its like going back to rigid you can still do everything but its not as much fun or made any easier.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m thinking about selling a frame after 2 rides just so I can run my reverb.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve considered it as much of my riding is up for 20 or 30 minutes and then down again. Very little along. But, I’ve only considered it…
    Droppers (even under the seat lever ones) are just too easy compared with getting off, undoing a QR, dropping the saddle down, make sure it’s straight and do the QR back up and then do it all again at the bottom 5 minutes later. Kinda ruins the flow of a ride.

GEDA
    Free Member

Depends on the trails and the bike. Dropped saddle and standing up pedalling for techy stuff up and down. Uppy downy post for the boring slog bits with tech.

tom.nash

Never, best add on buy ever.

Bregante

Yep. Binned my ks wotsit and now use a thomson. Admittedly its a layback but I honestly can’t say I miss the dropper.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Sent mine off for a service missed it, constantly being reamed is not fun, 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

only because i killed my gravity-dropper, and can’t afford to replace it.

they’re ace, and make lots of sense for a hardtail.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only when (Assume this was what you intended!) it’s been broken

As others have said, a game changing upgrade.

svalgis
    Free Member

I’d sooner drop suspension than dropper tbh. Possibly a wheel as well… If I lived near proper mountains where the regular rides consisted of epic non-stop climbs followed by epic non-stop descents it would of course be a different story.

wrecker
    Free Member

Purchased one due to people raving about them. It took me a while (and a trip to some big mountains) but I wouldn’t be without it now. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit.

kiwijohn

Tried one yesterday, don’t see the point. Dropping your seat is just a phase you go through.

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ll never be without one.

A “phase” ? Lol, i’ll cope.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes. Reliability.

timdb
    Free Member

Yup. Used it all the time on my old bike, but on the new one never really felt the need for it so took it off. 😀

ndthornton
    Free Member

Tried one yesterday, don’t see the point. Dropping your seat is just a phase you go through.

If you don’t need to drop your seat then your not tryin ard enough

nickc

Or you can manage just fine, thanks 😉

Dylan08
    Free Member

*snaps fingers* Look into my eyes, not around my eyes, into my eyes … you NEED to purchase a dropper post *snaps fingers*

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m sure you can on your way to the shops 😉

Northwind

I do occasionally, but most of the time it’s annoying… Swithering about putting my old gravity dropper on the Soda, it seems a shame but weight saving for its own sake’s pointless I suppose. (it’s rigid- I miss the dropper more than I miss the suspension)

kiwijohn – Member

Dropping your seat is just a phase you go through.

Weak attempt.

boxfish
    Free Member

Dropped, no, but didn’t bother replacing one after my bike was stolen.

cookeaa

I’ve hardly used my dropper lately as it won’t fit my SS and that’s what I have been riding in the current weather.

I do miss having a dropper but it is also fun riding a “low tech” bike on the same trails and seeing how you get along…

Roll on summer.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have four MTBs, XC race full-suss, XC race HT, rigid SS and coil-sprung trail bike.
    The first three have ISPs, so I don’t even have the option of stopping and doing it! The ISP is excellent for what those bikes do.
    The trail bike has a dropper, I bought it for an Alps trip last summer and I’m glad I did! On the right bike in the right place I wouldn’t be without it. For most of my riding it’s overkill. I appreciate it when I need, but I’m in no rush to drop the ISPs (really bad pun) on the other bikes.
    Actually, most of my bikes have ISPs, the TT bike does too and the road bike has a seized seatpost so that might as well be, it’s only the winter road bike which has a ‘conventional’ one, and that’s got an allen bolt clamp, so 1 normal, 1 dropper and 5 ISPs here.

stufield
    Free Member

Sold my reverb warranty replacement and bought a cannondale ss, that has improved my riding more.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Dylan08
    mine for sale bud lol
    Yes tried,it loved it semi lost without out it but life will go on as now it’s FOR SALE.. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d sooner drop suspension than dropper tbh.

My go-to bike for local riding has neither gears nor suspension. I put a dropper on it a month ago just to try it. It’s staying.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve only just gotten used to having one on the (new to me) fs. It’s a lot handier than i thought it would be. My ht is an old style, allen key out jobbie and i still don’t mind it. If on uppy-downy trails i set the height an inch or so below ideal, so I have a bit of freedom to move about but can still pedal ok. I’ll only stop to adjust it if it’s a big up or big down. I’d be tempted to get a dropper for it too, if a) they weren’t so expensive, and b) the seat tube was wider than a straw. Might go half way and get a qr clamp 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheap KS one. It works. I used it in the Alps for a week, then took it off and it’s been hanging up in the garage ever since. It’s a novelty. I don’t really need it, especially in the UK.
    It probably needs a service now but it was OK when I hung it up. £25 posted if anyone wants it.

johnfb
    Free Member

Pete YGM

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yes, the bike feels so much nicer without it, until you get to a section where you normally use it and then the bike feels so much worse without it.

Personally I run the dropper fulltime and just keep a conventional post and saddle bolted together and ready to fit at any time. I then just figure out what ride and switch if need be. If I’m off out with more XC biased, long distance group, I’ll loose the dropper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a Full sus that has had one for nearly 3 years and a HT that wont take a proper dropper as it’s 27.2.

The dropper allows me to ride more continuously and enjoy myself. It’s been great for racing and really has helped.

The HT comes out a lot (less recently due to some achey back issues) and I’m very tempted by a new frame so I can fit a dropper.

Strangely I do ride more stuff seat up than I used to but that is due to having a lever not remote post.

Conclusion I like. Go back Never.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

2 rides in I remain to be convinced, but maybe I’ll end up converted. I measured the difference between extended and comfortably dropped from the tide mark…it was 7mm! Drop it further and I’m either standing or pedalling monkey legged. I probably need to ride something approaching DH steep to warrant dropping it lower.

ransos
    Free Member

I can shift my weight behind the saddle without my gut getting in the way…

plyphon
    Free Member

I really hope someone makes a basic dropper,

I don’t personally understand why the droppers need seals etc like forks, other than to keep the cost up. Why does a seatpost need ultra smooth supple travel?

I can understand why rebound would be nice to stop you twatting your boys, but that could be achieved by a soft rubber/foam bump stop rather than an expensive oil chamber.

Unless I am mistaken and this is not how they work.

TL;DR, I want one, but not for 200 notes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    I can shift my weight behind the saddle without my gut getting in the way…

It’s the balls I struggle with…….

2 rides in I remain to be convinced, but maybe I’ll end up converted. I measured the difference between extended and comfortably dropped from the tide mark…it was 7mm! Drop it further and I’m either standing or pedalling monkey legged.

Standing is quite a good way to be on technical terrain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Dropping the dropper.’ is closed to new replies.