Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Dropping litter. Apparently, it's OK. Apparently, it's……
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A job creation scheme.
    😐

Riding along through traffic, some oik dropped an empty can of Red Bull from his car window. Nonchalantly, not a care in the world, just dropped it.

So, sensing that he had clearly done this by mistake, I did the only decent thing. Picked the can up, and as I rode past, dropped it back through his car window.

An argument ensued. I posited that he shouldn’t drop litter.

He replied, “Why the *expletive deleted* not? Me dropping litter gives someone a job to do”, as he casually dropped the can right in front of me and drove off, angrily.

Words failed me. I put the can in the nearest bin and continued my ride.

So, that’s how we solve unemployment everyone! Or not.

hairyscary

Put a dirty long scratch down his car……..keeps the garages in work?

cinnamon_girl

Well done Cap’n for challenging him! Sadly no doubt it won’t make him change his ways.

It’s a tough one cos attitudes should be challenged but I find myself reluctant to do this anymore.

There’s some horrible people around. 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

i do wonder, would you throw rubbish on the floor of the house in which you live, then i see some of the programs on TV and realise yes people do!

cynic-al
    Free Member

“oik”…not exactly helping your cause…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

right thing to challenge him.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I did the same thing once when in a traffic jam, car in front threw a cigarette butt out of his window I got out and chucked it back in saying you dropped this, a panic ensued in the car as it was still alight. He got the message though. Well done flashy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Words failed me.

Shame, you could have retorted : “Is sir perchance passing by the infirmary on his way home? If so perhaps he’d like to stitch this fecker”.

Raffles would have known the correct articulation.

project
    Free Member

Tell him in a stern voice you will be reporting him on a bike related site.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ernie, the shame is palpable.

Project, didn’t want to overstep the mark! 🙂

project
    Free Member

you could have also poured some of your water bottle/camelback content into the can, then placed it back in the car upside down.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I did this the other day, but with a lit cigarette – the panic on the driver’s face was hilarious.

Anyway, well done for challenging…it will probably make him change his ways from hereon but in the moment, he didn’t want to back down so throwing it back out made him feel a little better about his inadequacies there and then.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

[/quote]It’s a tough one cos attitudes should be challenged but I find myself reluctant to do this anymore.

This which is a sad affair as these days, folk are normally vulnerable to attack when questioning such vile behaviour.

Napalm
    Free Member

I had a similar exchange on the train recently & the job creation argument (or default lazy lowest denominator excuse) was used. “But what if the person who would gave to tidy up was employed creatively instead?” I asked.
    “Pi55 off” seems to be an acceptable response these days when you’re in the wrong.

SD-253
    Free Member

Can’t abide litter sends me mad. When out walking I fill my bag with beer cans (all white lighting strength?) and Mcdonalds shite. Was cycling long a very rarely used back road very clean not a speck of litter when I saw some cans in hedge had to stop and pick them up. 4 full cans of stellar still held together with the plastic?? Gave them to someone in pub as I don’t drink shite.

binners

Drives me apoplectic this. I watched some enormous meathead in a car park pull out a few weeks worth of Macdonalds detritus, empty fag packets and **** knows what else out of his bling range rover and, with his kids sat watching in the back, just drop the huge pile on the floor. He was a good 4ft away from A bin! Where was he parked? In a disabled space slap bang outside the entrance to Chester zoo! I don’t think he was disabled.

Bullet to the head! No judge, no jury, just natural justice. The world would be a better place

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

+ 1 (binners) in an ideal world

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think he was disabled.

Not all disabilities are physical. 😐

singlecrack
    Free Member

Point at them laughing loudly so everyone around takes notice ……then explain how stupid they must be to not be able to use a bin …

Thay hate being laughed at

cynic-al
    Free Member

DS mental illness qualifies for blue parking badge?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice try DS but a fail

The Blue Badge scheme allows drivers of passengers with severe mobility problems to park close to where they need to go. Find out where you can use your badge, how to display it and how to use it abroad.

that is from the govt website and it assume that disabled people or those with limited mobility cannot drive – shocking

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

SD-253
    Free Member

I wonder if I can get a Blue Badge to carry with me when a mates giving me a lift? I have Epilepsy so can’t drive?

Woody
    Free Member

There’s some horrible people around.

This.

Selfish, ignorant, arrogant scum. I’m sick of them.

nbt

Once picked up a can of coke that car in front dropped in a traffic jam As in, I got out of my car and walked over to pick it up. luckily, the queue moved and the culprit was able to drive off and get away scot free

well, drive 200 yards. I took the can back to my car, pulled up, got out and returned it to them the driver looked very embarrassed

brooess
    Free Member

Sitting having al fresco sandwich earlier this week outside work. Loads of people out doing the same. Girl in her 20’s I guess sitting with her friends, gust of wind takes away her paper bag – only a few meters. She sits and watches it fly away and does nothing.
    A pause, then, to her friends ‘shall I go and get it?’
    Luckily her friends said yes. Saved me coming out with something offensive.
    I mean what’s going on with your moral compass when you have to ask whether or not you should pick up your own litter??

Then again a BMW X6 driver on a gravel track forced me and my parents into the grass last weekend (parents both in mid-70’s). He sees me gesturing for him to ease off. ‘What;s your problem? ‘ me: ‘it would be nice to have some courtesy’ ‘it’s a road mate, get off it!’ and off he drives, my parents standing in the nettles so they don’t get run over.
    No doubt he thinks I’m a prick… 😥

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Good effort! job creation wont work when the government will pay them a working wage to sit on their ass doing sweet fa! Pet hate littering, +100 binners, could have done it a while back in Bowness, group of lads about 20 ish walking towards me and the family just finishing their fish and chips , one lad throws the whole rubbish can and all straight on floor, just lost it “pick it up” what “pick it up” why” look around why are all these people visiting the Lakes? you think its to come and see you chucking your crap everywhere? where can i put it? FFS!!! in the bin over the road”, he cleaned it all up put it in the bin, his mates then apologised so fair play to them. I`m afraid we are on second and third generation of scum now, so sadly i feel they are beyond knowing how decent people act.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nice try DS but a fail

Hadn’t realised that you could actually fail when having an opinion, but then again this is STW. 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Years ago where I used to live, the local comp organised litter picks around the area – after all it was the pupils that dropped it!

I’m seriously thinking of speaking to the local school here and asking them to do the same, totally fed up of seeing crisp packets, sweet wrappers, cans etc chucked into hedges and bushes.

Woody
    Free Member

I`m afraid we are on second and third generation of scum now, so sadly i feel they are beyond knowing how decent people act.

Nail on head.

allthepies
    Free Member

After seeing the debris of chip papers one lunchtime from the local chippie to the nearest school I complained to the head. Been much better since 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

double FAIL!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hadn’t realised that you could actually fail when having an opinion, but then again this is STW

of course opinions can never be wrong especially when relating to facts 😕
    Hardly a big deal really. We are all wrong some of the time but on stw we never admit it.
    I hope we dont walk through life like that

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Years ago where I used to live, the local comp organised litter picks around the area – after all it was the pupils that dropped it!

I’m seriously thinking of speaking to the local school here and asking them to do the same, totally fed up of seeing crisp packets, sweet wrappers, cans etc chucked into hedges and bushes.

CG, I read/saw (forget which!)something recently about a local shop that was making kids write their names on crisp/sweet wrappers. So, if thye dropped it… Brilliant, I thought!

joeegg
    Free Member

Along with our neighbours we go out picking up litter from the roadsides in our local area.
    The amount we collect each week is enormous.We pick up that much that its impossible to carry all the bin bags back so we ask people on the route if they’ll put it in their rubbish.
    A McDonalds,KFC and one of those rip off coffee places have opened up in the nearby town and a high percentage of the litter is from the first two.
    A guy from the cleansing dept says it is now taking four times the time to clean around the drive through areas compared to before they were opened.
    I wish the bosses of these places could see just what some of their customers are doing with the waste.
    The people who do this can’t be educated not to,so just cut off the supply.Eat in only with no drive throughs and turn back the years with refundable deposits on all drinks containers.

Sandwich

Bullet to the head! No judge, no jury, just natural justice. The world would be a better place

There is a problem with this. What do you do with the resulting waste to avoid being similarly culled?

cynic-al
    Free Member

joe – just deliver all the rubbish to the relevant businesses.

rjj
    Free Member

Get this all the time in school – not every child mind just a minority.

timber

Someone had cleared out their car in one of our car parks, whilst clearing it up, we found their payslip. Management decided to over rule me and send a letter to them, I was intending to shove every bit of rubbish in the car park through their letterbox otherwise, was only a 1/2 mile down the road.

Bunnyhop

Same here c_g.

The one thing that really makes my blood boil is dropping litter, whether from a car or just walking along. It’s the same old lazyness.

I found out recently that in schools and with children in general, it’s just not cool to put litter in a bin – WTF!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Dropping litter. Apparently, it's OK. Apparently, it's……’ is closed to new replies.