Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dropping chain with NarrowWide and XT clutch
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Ive been dropping my chain onto the outside of my cranks, using a Raceface NW, and a KMC chain which isnt beyond .7 worn.

Has anyone else had the same, its usually off hucking things. But its rather annoying. My only thought is that the NW is worn, meaning the teeth hare not as thick now as they used to be.

Anyone worn a NW ring?

Cheers

Ricks

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have a 36 tooth RF Narrow wide has been on for about 8 months does about 60km a week sometimes more , Sram 1080 chain and XT clutch mech with an XT 36-11 cassette , Intense Tracer 2 set at 145mm travel ,has not dropped yet, teeth are shiney silver (black ring)

rOcKeTdOg

Is the chain too long?

Been using a Nw chainring with std rear mech & no guide for 6 months/1200 miles Inc CYB & this year’s mayhem without one dropped chain

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is this a new set up or was working fine before and now playing up?

All rings will wear with use.

Clutch failure or bent/missing chainring teeth?

bigblackshed

Is the chain as short as possible?

Check the chainline. Is it correct in the middle of the cassette?

Is the clutch on? I’ve put my wheel in before now and then rattled off along a trail, then remembered to put the clutch back on. 😳

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm… first port of call was to remove two links from the chain.

I have a spare Works component ring that i can give a go with if that fails.

Sounds like its not normal though.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Worth checking the clutch is still working on the mech by trying to move the lower cage while the clutch is turned on.

I’ve just had to send my XT one back because the clutch stopped working.

teethgrinder

I have this issue with non-clutch. Just started and it ruins rides. Going to try a new chain I think.

rickon
    Free Member

Clutch is engaging properly, which is why I think its the chainring with the issue.

On one’s ring is only £26 so its not the end of the world. Whats their delivery time/ sending thr right parts like these days?

fathomer

I regularly drop my chain, same setup but not sure on chain strech. I’m fitting a top guide this week.

rickon
    Free Member

This is on a Five29 too, so long stays and single pivot.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m running a standard SLX mech with Raceface single speed ring, not even a NW and rarely drop my chain. I do have a short chain for the setup as I’m only running a 11-32 at the back.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

How old is the chain? If you think you’d get away with it without problems on the cassette, It’d be worth trying a fresh chain, I strongly suspect it’s the chain getting flexible, not the ring wearing that causes these problems. I could be wrong though.

rickon
    Free Member

Chain is less than .7 worn, so id be surprised if it were the wear on the chain being the issue. I do have a mew 10sp chain kicking around though, so can give it a whirl too.

Slogo
    Free Member

Could it be the chain flexing to much while the swing arm and frame is compressed. kicking the chain off.

endurokid
    Free Member

Raceface NW here with an X0 short cage clutch mech. At first it was spot on, no problems whatsoever, then I lost the chain racing at Gisburn then on every stage at the Grizedale Enduro, then not long after again at Degla. Chain, cassette and ring were all new together. Chain seems spot on in terms of length, maybe I could get away with it being a tad shorter but opted for a guide instead.

I’m now running a direct mount top guide to be safe.

daver27
    Free Member

Have you adjusted the clutch tonnage up wear?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dropping chain with NarrowWide and XT clutch’ is closed to new replies.