Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Dropping a banana skin dilemma
  • zokes
    Free Member

A rotting sheep’s carcass can contaminate a water source. Lots of sheep die up in the hills. Sheep skeletons litter some areas. Most of the varieties of sheep aren’t indigenous, and their existence in certain areas has had negative impact on the local ecosystem.

Plenty more things to worry about than fruit peel.

Now I know you’re just trolling and being facetious, but I think we all can tell that there are very few, if any, pristine areas of the UK. If, as you ably demonstrate above, you’re too dumb to work out that carrying home your litter is the right thing to do, then might I suggest you stay away from the countryside.

Cheers

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A rotting sheep’s carcass can contaminate a water source. Lots of sheep die up in the hills. Sheep skeletons litter some areas. Most of the varieties of sheep aren’t indigenous, and their existence in certain areas has had negative impact on the local ecosystem.

Plenty more things to worry about than fruit peel.

i don’t own or care for any sheep, but i do eat bananas, I can easily do something about the disposal of my banana skins. Dealing with other peoples rotting sheep I find more difficult.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

When i was at school we used to chuck banana skins at a tree to see who could make them hang on the highest branch…i realise now doing that was a bit of a **** thing to do but they never lasted anything like 2 years!

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Yeah, but have you seen how unsightly most mtbers are to look at.

How long does it take them to biodegrade?

You could always put your name down;

http://video.nationalgeographic.co.uk/video/science/health-human-body-sci/human-body/body-farm-sci/

Think the lycra would take the longest to decompose 😉

thx1138
    Free Member

Now I know you’re just trolling and being facetious, but I think we all can tell that there are very few, if any, pristine areas of the UK. If, as you ably demonstrate above, you’re too dumb to work out that carrying home your litter is the right thing to do, then might I suggest you stay away from the countryside.

Is there really any need for such rudeness? Simple fact is that people dropping the odd fruit peel/skin is totally inconsequential compared to the damage caused by other Human behaviour, which is rarely addressed. Such as building roads, car parks, cafes and various other facilities so that people can ‘enjoy’ the countryside. Wasting time discussing the half-life of a banana skin or piece of fruit peel means that other, more important issues don’t get discussed. This reminds me of community meetings up in Northumberland, where people who drive massive 4x4s and use all sorts of chemicals on their land/animals blether on about how terrible it is that the village hall’s doors have been painted an ‘inappropriate’ colour and how this ‘ruins’ the local area.

I take all my litter home with me. I don’t consider the odd banana skin or piece of fruit peel (or any other biodegradable organic matter to be ‘litter’, and dispose of it by throwing it away once I’ve eaten the fruit. And as I’ve seen no evidence presented which proves that dropping such biodegradable matter in the countryside actually creates environmental damage, I’ll continue to do so. Regardless of what some random on an internet forum thinks.

joao3v16
    Free Member

driving to such beauty spots creates far greater environmental damage than throwing away a banana skin .. Yet I imagine not that many would be willing to give up such recreational pleasures. So blethering on about a few banana skins is really just pissing in the wind.

You need to become more “STW” 😀

There is an almost identical issue whereby we unquestioningly spend £15k on a car, £2-£3k on an mtb & associated paraphanalia, £70 on a tank of petrol, drive for hours and hours … then strop like little children when the car park costs a mere £3.50 🙄

thx1138
    Free Member

You need to become more “STW”

By that, do you mean ‘just focussing on one tiny little aspect/point/issue at a time, and lacking the ability to step back, be more objective and see the bigger picture’? I’d noticed that several people on here seem to suffer from such a condition. I have no desire to become so similarly afflicted, thanks all the same. 😉

Cougar

Simple fact is that people dropping the odd fruit peel/skin is totally inconsequential compared to the damage caused by other Human behaviour, which is rarely addressed.

I fail to see any reason why these should be mutually exclusive concerns. Why can’t we attempt address both?

I’m going to start dropping crisp packets on the pavement. The environmental impact is inconsequential compared to the traffic next to me, so it doesn’t matter.

Cougar

There is an almost identical issue whereby we unquestioningly spend £15k on a car, £2-£3k on an mtb & associated paraphanalia, £70 on a tank of petrol, drive for hours and hours … then strop like little children when the car park costs a mere £3.50

Or pay half a grand for a smartphone and balk at paying 69p for an app.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I put mine in a dog poo bag and then hang it from a tree.

thx1138
    Free Member

I’m going to start dropping crisp packets on the pavement. The environmental impact is inconsequential compared to the traffic next to me, so it doesn’t matter.

Non sequitur. The crisp packet isn’t biodegradable.

nicko74

So blethering on about a few banana skins is really just pissing in the wind.

Back it up, you can’t leave piss just hanging in the wind. You should take it home with you and dispose of it properly!

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Wasting time discussing the half-life of a banana skin or piece of fruit peel means that other, more important issues don’t get discussed.

Where’s your thread discussing more important matters then? Lots of people on this thread just waiting to get their teeth into something more important who will no doubt flock to it.

Come to that, what are you doing wasting your time on this thread?

nicko74

Where’s your thread discussing more important matters then?

I believe there’s one over there about people off’ve TV you fancy. Does that count?

Basically, it’s possibly a bad habit to leave banana peel in the countryside, but many of us do it and agree that it’s less bad than leaving a Clif bar wrapper in the same spot. Doesn’t make it right, but it’s a choice I’m prepared to take and – until pressed on it – back.

Cougar

Non sequitur. The crisp packet isn’t biodegradable.

I didn’t say it was, I said…

The environmental impact is inconsequential compared to the traffic next to me,

… which it is.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can we compromise and just agree to hang them in the trees next to the poo bags.

pacerc200
    Free Member

If you would eat it then fling it, if not it take it home.

zokes
    Free Member

I take all my litter home with me.

Good.

But then…

I don’t consider the odd banana skin or piece of fruit peel (or any other biodegradable organic matter to be ‘litter’, and dispose of it by throwing it away once I’ve eaten the fruit.

So you don’t. I’ll tell you what, have a read of the by-laws in any national park about litter. Ask a ranger if it’s OK to just throw things away. I suspect you’ll find a similar answer to “some random on the internet”.

Oh, and I wasn’t being rude – I was succinctly summing up your attitude to the issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pacerc200 – Member

No Take it HOME.

I’ll take great pleasure walking the streets throwing bits of sandwich, apple cores, banana peel etc into peoples gardens from now on.

One lucky garden will get some extra fertilizer….

If it didn’t come from there take it home.

jd-boy
    Free Member

PLEASE PLEASE take them home or put them in the bin, they dont biodegrade, they just go black and hard, we get fed up with clearing them up in the parking area at events. 👿

pacerc200
    Free Member

Been doing it for 30 years in the hills so will continue to do so. To clarify, fleshy bit of banana/orange eat/fling, skin/peel take home

steveoath
    Free Member

Yes, but here we’re (needlessly) talking about banana skins. Something which will biodegrade. The only argument for not dropping them in the countryside seems to be that they are ‘unsightly’. No evidence as to their actual environmental impact has been presented though.

Seem weird that we’re not even considering the environmental impact of transporting the curvy yellow fellows to blighty from whichever exotic part of the world they happen to come from, yet getting up on high horses about flinging the skins away :-s But this is STW I suppose.

nicko74

But I wouldn’t eat celery or asparagus, so therefore I must take them home? And I would eat steak or kebab, so is flinging that into the wild acceptable?

yunki
    Free Member

what about the danger to wildlife..?

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Dropping a banana skin dilemma’ is closed to new replies.