Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Droppers – X-fusion Hilo v RSP Plummet v Brand X v Reverb
  • hammerite
    Free Member

I currently have an X-Fusion Hilo which came with the bike. It’s alright, but recently been slipping down when sat on the saddle or creeping up when it should be down. So I’m thinking of changing/upgrading.

I’ve seen the RSP Plummet for £90, 125mm drop and stealth. The Brand X is a similar spec for £120. Or I could go for most people’s preferred post and opt for a Reverb for £180.

Anyone tried any of these? Thoughts?

Poopscoop

Using the Brand X currently.
    So far so good. Small amount of play but hasn’t got worse.
    Cable activated so no messing around bleeding yet another hydraulic line.

Lever is actually very good too… If your running 1x.

2 year warranty, so I’m going to try and kill it with my current 15 stone! 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Brand X here. Missed it when it was 90 quid, gutted 😡 Not had it long enough to know whether it’s decent.

I suspect it’s been designed to pack in just out of warranty. I mean a business with a relatively good returns system, would be silly not to eh.

They don’t even sell spares! Giant do for their similar gas strut uppy downie thingy wotsit ma bobby.

flyingmonkeycorps

There was a PSA for crazy cheap Reverbs a while back, if one of those would fit I’d go for that.

I have a Reverb on my main bike and a Plummet on my hardtail. When it’s working properly the Reverb is to my mind pretty much perfect – it’s slick, it’s quick, it’s just really nice to use. I also like the remote, run under the bars. But at some point it will almost certainly break (I’ve had a few that have) which is a pain, especially if it does it out of warranty.

The Plummet I’ve only had a few months, but seems pretty good. It’s MUCH more agricultural feeling than the Reverb and the remote isn’t as nice but it seems reliable. It’s VERY sensitive to cable tension, once you get that spot on it seems to run fine.

nairnster
    Free Member

Brand X here too.

Works very well. As mentioned above a little bit of play but doesn’t seem to have got worse.

The collar does seem to want to unscrew itself on mine but I just nip it back up by hand.

Hopefully if it does die it will do so after about 22 months to get a new one within warranty lol. If not, I will probably buy a new one when it does go.

jabbi
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Pro Koryak, Not used it yet but it appears to be the same as the Trans-X just with a Pro saddle clamp and I-spec 2 mount. Internals (Cartridge, seals and keyways) are available separately if needed and it seems well built and if 120mm drop is enough, might be worth a go? Have to say I got an unmissable deal or would have gone Trans-X at £60 cheaper (I-spec and clean bar set-up sealed it. along with Pro/Madison back-up).

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Hi OP.
    Have you checked the cable tension/routing? My Hilo drops and returns if the cable is accidentally under tension.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all. The Brand-X seems popular.

mikesbikes – yes I have, when I first got the bike I realised that over tensioning the cable was a problem. I think I’ve messed the post up, I noticed it wasn’t returning all the way without a little pull up with my thighs. I topped up the air and it zipped back up really well, but crept up slightly when down and no weight was on the saddle. Now it still creeps up but also slips down when it has weight on it. There’s also a fair amount of play.

hammerite
    Free Member

BTW I saw the PSA for the cheap Reverbs a little late, they’d all sold at the £99 price.

Northwind

IMO more drop is better drop, so I’d go with whatever’s longer and fits in the bike (the 170mm Reverb is a bit more expensive but the difference between 125mm and 150mm is well worth it ime)

nemesis
    Free Member

Sounds like the main seal is leaking slightly on your hilo (so oil leaks between the two chambers). It’s an easy job to fix FWIW with a new seal kit.

crashrash

Having had a reverb I would take care – 4 returns in 7 months.Customer service is good as I got 4 new posts but got so fed up being unable to ride I bought a KS lev which has been perfect for a year! Having said that I have a new, unused and boxed reverb stealth with 125 drop and 30.9 right hander to go under the bar on the left if running 1X!!!

Pz_Steve

I got a couple of TranzX droppers from Bike-Discount.de (like this) for 100 Euros a pop. Seem fine so far – in fact they’ve got better with each ride. Don’t know how long they’ll last but very happy at the moment.

They also come in a decent range of sizes, and they have stealth versions for an extra E10.00

Poopscoop

Oh, I’ve head that Brand X are bringing out a 150mms dropper this year.

No idea on cost of release date though.

Hell, could just be rumour.

JAG

I picked up a cheap Reverb A1 (early model) with 125mm drop for £40 on eBay.

Stripped it, cleaned it and rebuilt with the original seals and some fresh oil (£5 from TFTuned) and so far it works perfectly 😀

We need a smug-emoticon sometimes!

hammerite
    Free Member

Crashrash – I might have gone for that but I need 31.6.

Decided to go for the Brand X. Justification being price (£105 from Ubyk) and good reviews/recommendations. I also think that the cable pull will be easier to maintain/change if needed.

I get that I might appreciate a bit more drop, but I manage fine with 100mm at the moment and very rarely think that I could do with having more drop. I was struggling to find a 150mm Reverb for less than £200 with the left underside lever.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Droppers – X-fusion Hilo v RSP Plummet v Brand X v Reverb’ is closed to new replies.