Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Droppers – Rockshox or Thomson?
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

I’ve always been keen to ride my bike with the seat up. It’s from back before droppers where around and I made a point of learning to ride tech with the seat up, so I didn’t need to stop and drop it.

Last night I rode my Superlight down a steep and rocky trail (one of the “downhill” trals in wharncliffe) with the seat down, and I’m now thinking a dropper is the way forward. 🙂

So, Rockshox or Thomson? I like that the Thomson is cable operated and not hydro, but a reverb is £200ish (with a bleed kit), and the Thomson is £280…

Anyone had both? is the Thomson worth the extra cash?

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ks lev

robowns
    Free Member

I had a Reverb, it broke and have just got a Thomson as a replacement. Thompson looks nicer, easier to change the cable if there’s issues (my Reverb needed bleeding periodically as the seat kept dropping – so does my brothers).
    In saying that – Reverb are great, lever feels good and are cheap.

I considered a Lev but read too much about internal cables snapping, the levers huge on the bars and paying for a southpaw puts it over £300.

sprocker
    Free Member

Specialized command is worth a look if you don’t mind not having infinite height adjustment.

FOG

Have’t used a Thompson but have had a Reverb for a couple of years. It has been moved from bike to bike and has proved excellent. It has needed bleeding perhaps twice in 2years . Bar control a bit vulnerable but not a problem so far. There are usually some deals somewhere to take the Reverb under 200 quid so always cheaper than Thompson, got to be Reverb really.

stufield
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 reverbs, they’ve all broken / had play from the start.

Have just got a thomson so too early to comment on ultimate reliability, but it feels more solid, i really like the smallish lever and was very easy to set up.

rOcKeTdOg

Depends if you want to rely on it working or have an account at the post office. If you haven’t and aren’t a tart who only buys stuff for the asthetics then get a Gravity dropper

coogan
    Free Member

Got a KS LEV and it’s all been good so far. Only had it over a month, dunno why I waited so long to get a dropper post, they are freakin’ awesome. The LEV now comes with a under bar switch if you run 11 speed, keeps it tucked out of view.

Northwind

I replaced an older KS with a Reverb, it’s been reliable so far but the lever’s terrible (not to mention fragile and expensive, a cynical person might assume these 2 things aren’t unconnected). But then a Lev was about 50% more expensive.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

My Thomson is a year old now and still rock solid, no play in any direction and as smooth as it was brand new.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have Reverbs on all my bikes but I am going to try a LEV. The reverb remote does not always play nicely with different brakes and its fragile, with my Formula brakes I want it in a different position but that position is occupied by the brake lever!

gamo
    Free Member

Two Thomsons here both coming up for a year old both good as new!
    Had a Reverb before which was good when it worked.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I have Thomson that is about 10 months old and it is currently with iride for the 2nd time. It starts of rock solidbut both times starting to develop play. The first one had the collar undo and the post got scored. Secondone started to undo but I got it earlier but even doing it up if still now has play in it. I have asked Merlin for a refund so I can get something different but not sure what my chances are.

imnotverygood

Probably the kiss of death, but I have had reverbs on two of my bikes and neither has given me any problem at all…

stevied
    Free Member

My Lev is back in Germany for the 2nd time in 10 months. 1st time the seat started to drop 1″ just sitting on the bike (took 3 weeks to get back), this time the inner string has snapped (4 weeks and counting so far 👿 )
    If it fails again I’m entitled to a full refund or replacement. I’ll be going with something different if it does.
    Probably go with the Thomson as I don’t like the expense/faff of the hydraulic reverb.
    BTW Thomson are £240 @ Merlin 😀

I solved the issue of remote positioning by making my own ‘underlever’ mount:

TheFlyingOx

I considered a Lev but read too much about internal cables snapping, the levers huge on the bars and paying for a southpaw puts it over £300.

An alternative viewpoint: I’ve got a KS Dropzone (which as far as I can tell is just a laid-back Lev) that has a tiny bar mount lever that can be stuck on either side, has no internal cables to faff with, and cost me £129 delivered. It performed brilliantly at ‘Ard Rock last weekend. No idea why I resisted for so long.

nwill1
    Free Member

Reverbs currently £162 at CRC less £12 if you spend over £60 (there was a PSA on here with the code)

I’ve got one, touch wood, no issues in 10 months.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Reverbs currently £162 at CRC less £12 if you spend over £60 (there was a PSA on here with the code)

I’ve got one, touch wood, no issues in 10 months.

No bleed kit though, so have to add on £30 for that…

tonyd

No bleed kit though, so have to add on £30 for that…

They can be had much cheaper than that

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thomson ordered from merlin. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback.

stevied
    Free Member

Thomson ordered from merlin

Hope you used Quidco to get 2% back too? 😉

Northwind

FWIW I got a cheap CRC reverb and it came with all the trimmings, I’d kind of expected it to be OEM. Bit of luck of the draw maybe

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thomson ordered from merlin

Hope you used Quidco to get 2% back too?

Sh*t!

FWIW I got a cheap CRC reverb and it came with all the trimmings, I’d kind of expected it to be OEM. Bit of luck of the draw maybe

I find this a bit crap TBH and think it should be noted on the description. I got some Reba forks in a clear bag from CRC. where’s my damn rockshox box! I wanted to recycle it. 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

The first reverb I had was a bit crap. It was an early one with the silver lock nut. Temperamental.
    The newer one (black lock nut) has been great. Bleed it once a year which is no more difficult than changing a cable anyway.
    Not used the Thomson so can’t compare though.

creamegg
    Free Member

Based on my experience of Reverb’s I’d go with the Reverb every time. Had both mine for 3 years and have worked perfectly without any maintenance at all other than a quirt of fork juice after every ride. (Ride 2-3 times a week, including throughout winter). Out of around 20 people I know who have Reverbs, none have had any issues. Out of 2 guys with the Lev, both have had issues. The only fault with the Reverb is the remote is fragile and liable to crash damage (even when mounted under the bar) and can be costly to fix. And Reverbs can be had on a regular basis (with bleed kits) for as little as £160. I even paid £130 for my last one (Planet X)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Droppers – Rockshox or Thomson?’ is closed to new replies.