Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • dropper technique/frame design
  • poe82
    Free Member

When riding your chosen dropper post do you actually spend time seated with post down? Or is it just out of the way for when you are stood up so that you can move around?
    My reason for asking is I’m building a new frame which will be designed from the ground up for a stealth dropper but my seat tube may well be unusually slack. So the saddle will be in the right position when up but will come forward somewhat as it goes down. Being that you’d normally put it down for dh that’s not ideal right? Also, would the slack angle put unusual stresses on the posts bushings, with more weight in what should be the horizontal?

skindog
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve a variable height dropper so it’s not always slammed right down, so for techy pedally bits with big obstacles I’ll often drop it half way and sit down the odd time. Might be my fitness too though!

AlexSimon

I’ve got a maverick ml7/5, so a very slack seat tube.

Similar to this:

And a 125mm Reverb. I’ve never found it a problem that it moves forward.
    I tend to run full up, 3/4″ down where the forwardness doesn’t bother me, then the full down. I find the fact the saddle is forward quite nice and out of the way.

If I was going to sit on it, I’d let the Reverb come back up. Absolutely no point in sitting on a full-down saddle imo.

goodgrief
    Free Member

This is how Knollys are designed, maybe less so these days though.
    I wouldn’t want to put that stress on a Reverb, they seem to suffer bushing problems as it is. Sram said they couldn’t make the 150mm version with a 30.9mm diameter because it failed their tests so it must be pretty close to the edge of it’s design.

AlexSimon

I should have mentioned, I only weigh 60kg, so I can’t really attest to strength issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘dropper technique/frame design’ is closed to new replies.