Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Dropper seatposts – KS Lev or Fox DOSS????
  • flyingmm

Just out of interest, what friction paste have folk been using? Cheers

JoeG
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t use grease until mine arrived. I didn’t have any carbon paste, so used Park anti-sieze compound instead as I had it on hand.

martinxyz
    Free Member

better grab some carbon paste then.

MarkN
    Free Member

Based on what I have seen in the manual on the web anti seize is good to go as well. I guess that they are looking at gripping the most with minimum possible clamping force from the seat clamp.

JoeG
    Free Member

Mark N – Yes; the instructions that came with the Lev said to use either carbon paste or anti-sieze compound. They clearly said NOT to use grease like 99% or us normally do.

FOG

I have two bikes, one with 27.2 and the other with 31.6 and I don’t really want to buy two dropper posts. So will using a 27.2 post in the 31.6 bike with a shim cause problems? I can’t see why but there is always some drawback I haven’t thought of!

steveo73
    Free Member

Hi might be looking at getting a LEV soon. Can anyone tell me if i buy from germany will it cause problems with any warranty issues here in the uk or would it need to go through the german side ? And also who is the UK distributors/dealers ?

woody2000

KS are dealt with by pure racing, or superstar components as they’re otherwise known. I’ve just had some repair work done on my 950 and it hasn’t been the best experience :-$

tn25
    Free Member

Hi, can anyone tell me the minimum exposed seatpost from the seat clamp to the saddle rails on the LEV? I’m after a 100mm post but the reverb needs too much of the post exposed for me. The shortest I have seem is the Specialized blacklite but I think they only come in 30.9 in the UK. Thanks!

sam_underhill

Re: min insertion, see my reply to this thread :
    Ks lev 125mm

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Finally got my Lev post after Shitty link tried to deliver twice without leaving cards to notify. Ended up going to get it myself – usual top class service – Thanks City Link!!
    Anyway….. Fitting is fairly straight forwards so long as you have the right tools. I did not! A trip to LBS to borrow cable cutters – sorted! The thing that stands out most – soooo neat! No excess clutter/levers on the handlebars and cable routing is well tidy.
    Done a couple of rides and have found it great, just becomes second nature. Only gripe I can mention is I would have been better getting the next size up as it is just slightly lower than I would prefer.
    My choice, nowt wrong with post.
    Definately made riding more dynamic, no stop/start.
    Mint!!

tn25
    Free Member

Thanks Sam but does anyone know what the min insertion is for the 100mm post? Is it 25mm less or the same as the 125mm post? Thanks

vixalot
    Free Member

My ks lev is fitted and brill 😀 the cable did take a bit of cutting needed bigger and better cutters (I was just being a bit of a girl oh i am a girl) 😕 I ordered it from wiggle and it turned up next day 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

Pinkbike has a review of the DOSS here.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of the DOSS. It’s heavier than the competition, brings nothing new to the party and being a Fox product will be priced to attract those who have too much disposable income.

The Lev on the other hand is a second generation product that’s had some of the faults of it’s predecessor designed out – namely the release mechanism is at a fixed point on the front of the post. The Reverb has those lovely hydraulic innards that theoretically mean reliable operation, but all posts share a basic vulnerability in that the stanchion and seal is in the direct crud path of the rear wheel.

Aside from fitting a gopping mudguard, or an equally gopping stanchion boot and/or plastic guard a-la upside down MX forks there’s very little you can do about it. Plus even the most feathery dropper post will add a whole pound to the weight of my already portly AM bike.

Am I missing something?

chiefgrooveguru

Am I missing something?

Yes. You will ride better on corners and descents if your seat is lower and you’ll ride uphill quicker for longer if you can return it to pedalling height. You could stop and use the quick release but then you have to stop. A Gravity Dropper may look ugly (though I’d say purposeful) but it is reliable, easy to maintain and fix (and I hate fettling) and will add only 250g to the weight of your bike (unless you currently ride with no seatpost at all!)

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Dropper seatposts – KS Lev or Fox DOSS????’ is closed to new replies.