Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dropper Seatposts – A market I really have no idea on!!
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

After a dropper seatpost on a budget – £90 !!

Obviously happy to consider 2nd hand otherwise there isn’t many options in my budget but really don’t know where to start!!

I know most will say save and get a Reverb (simple google search says that) but saving isn’t an option – £90 is the limit to spend otherwise I’d be in trouble !!

So far in the price I can find the TMARS (but plenty of bad feedback on here) or hold out for a bargain…… but the bargains like that don’t come!

WHERE WOULD YOUR MONEY GO?!?!?!

Thank you!!

NormalMan

RSP summit from Raleigh?

Pretty sure someone on here was talking favourably about them the other week.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Never even heard of that RSP summit – will start with some research, one for the list thank you Normal Man!

smurfly13
    Free Member

RSP Plummet – £82.50 online so its a runner, not much user reviews though

Not to the extent of saying ‘Reverb’, but can’t you stretch to £139?

X Fusion Hilo @ Wiggle, but only the 100mm drop version

NormalMan
    mattbee

TMars is available for £50 on the bay. Been running one for 19 months with no major issues, bit clunky but it is cheap.
    Other than that it’s scour the classifieds time.

alexdodd
    Free Member

Is it me that is dubiously assuming the RSP will be another version of whatever the TMARS and Icelift was etc… So they’re probably all the same… But i don’t know that for certain of course

smurfly13
    Free Member

Saw the Hilo and was tempted but can’t go over really – not worth the pain!!

Just spotted that Normal Man – good comments there!

Massive info on the TMars mattbee and it seems to be hit and miss, some running with no problems really happy, others really suffer and ended up binning!!

Missed out on a TMars yesterday on the For Sale on here so thought I would see what else people suggest!

smurfly13
    Free Member

They are all Gravity Dropper knock offs – that I have gathered but it seems to be the cable routing and lateral play that is setting them apart!

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hilo I’d sell. 31.6mm & 100mm drop with remote leaver.
    Can do it for £95 posted. Only upgrading to reverb to match my new forks.

smurfly13
    Free Member

This is the same as the RSP (they make them for Raleigh so google says)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOOM-SORATA-PRO-2014-COMPACT-GRAVITY-DROPPER-SEATPOST-31-6mm-Black-or-Silver-/261328281848

Reviews are more common on that and can’t find a bad word yet!

Thanks for the offer ska-49 but tempted with this now because of warranty and the problems that come with droppers.

dannybgoode

I have just taken delivery of the Sorata Pro and am very impressed with the quality.

Very little play, nice smooth action, metal throughout – really very very nice for the price. The gaiter fits nice and tight 2 drop positions and the level seems to be of good quality also.

I ordered from that seller, paid the £1.99 extra for express delivery and it arrived the next day.

Overall very happy…

tonyg2003

I bought Joplin 4 (non remote) new off eBay today for £97. I’ve had the Mars / Ice posts before and they were very very poor. It’s easy to add a remote to a Joplin too and I’ve found my other Joplin to be very reliable.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks dannydgoode – think that’s probably sold it to me!

And thank you Normal Man for pointing me in that direction – completely missed these ones!!!

smurfly13
    Free Member

dannybgoode – did you need the 27.2mm on its own or did you get a shim?

Wonder what the quality of his shims are like??!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a KS E10 and it’s been faultless for a few months now ( I installed a decent cable from the off) 30.9 remote controlled, about 110 euros from German sites. Good solid action both ways and no preceptible play so far.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1170/a70022/eten-remote-hydraulic-drop-post-309mm.html?mfid=730

smurfly13
    Free Member

Glad I titled it I have no idea….. there are so many options within budget and I had no idea!

Awesome thank you

ben10
    Free Member

Iv been looking at the rsp myself because of size and budget only seen them for about £100 would like to know were there available for less thanks

dannybgoode

I actually needed a 27.2 but if the shims are to the quality of the rest of the kit then I reckon they’ll be ok.

I think Gravity Dropper are going to have to review their pricing soon as these (according to a friend who has a GD) are at least as good…

smurfly13
    Free Member

Cheers danny!

ben10 – this is the same as the RSP, these are people that make it for Raleigh – cheapest I can find it £71.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281205987507?var=580249481951&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

jorosm
    Free Member

An interesting thread, as I’m after one on a budget also, but more so, i’m also constrained by the length inserted into the frame – I’ve got an older Specialized Stumpjumper, where the shock goes through the frame beneath the seatpost.

Most droppers seem to be 400 in total length, which is just far too long, and even those at 380 look too big when you take into account another couple of inches on top with the saddle fitted.

Maybe a daft question, but can some of the cheaper alternative be chopped down?

Thanks

NormalMan

Don’t think you could chop them tbh.

I looked a lot when I first got my Camber as I’d chopped the stock post so I could drop it low enough. I think the reverb comes in 355mm (or did).

I think the RSP isn’t that much longer but then I’d need a shim, something I’m a bit wary of, though probably unduly!

ell_tell
    Free Member

I looked a lot when I first got my Camber as I’d chopped the stock post so I could drop it low enough. I think the reverb comes in 355mm (or did).

Slight hijack but did you run a dropper on your Camber btw? I’ve got a Camber and would like to get a dropper, but find that with the stock post I can’t lower the post enough because of the kink in the seat tube.

NormalMan

Ell tell

I’m still on my stock post right now. Got sidetracked by other bikes (road and 29er ht) but have started playing with the Camber (26er, Expert model) again. So looking to Evo it a bit. Short stem fitted, new bars ordered, etc.

Next stop I guess will be the dropper post.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Cheers Normal Man. My Camber is a L and the stock post is pretty long. Reckon its well below the min insertion hole at max height but I’ve just never got around to chopping it down.

Need to play around with a tape measure to see what length dropper would work really.

weeksy

ska-49 – Member

I’ve got a Hilo I’d sell. 31.6mm & 100mm drop with remote leaver.
    Can do it for £95 posted. Only upgrading to reverb to match my new forks

Throw me a mail.

NormalMan

No probs Ell Tell.

Mine is the L also. Can’t remember how much I chopped in the end, may have been about 40/50mm.

As I said, I’ve bought a fair of bit of biking kit (incl bikes) since so started looking at the cheaper options now.

Not sure how true it is but I read on one of the US forums that you can check you’ve got enough post in the Camber by using the little hole on the back of the seat tube.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Not sure how true it is but I read on one of the US forums that you can check you’ve got enough post in the Camber by using the little hole on the back of the seat tube.

Yes, that’s what I use. When its not full of mud that is!

distanced0
    Free Member

I bought the zoom sorata pro in matt silver and it’s good. It weighs 598g on my scales, well made and looks okay ie looks okay on my bike. Supplied Jagwire cable is quite short really but the action is smooth and light. In short I like it. £71.99 off ebay, good weight, good looks, sturdy and it works.

smurfly13
    Free Member

For anyone else looking I also went for the Zoom Sorata Pro off ebay – fantastic budget buy!!

Only complaint – the remote cable was too short so needed changing before use (I ride a 20″ 29er, so nothing silly!) Changing was pretty simple too!

distanced0
    Free Member

Agreed. If you have even a medium 26er frame with long top tube and wide bars the cable run is tight. Also agreed it’s a great piece of kit regardless of it’s budget price.

br
    Free Member

but saving isn’t an option – £90 is the limit to spend otherwise I’d be in trouble !!

FFS – grow a pair, then save and buy a decent one.

docrobster
    Free Member

It doesn’t help the op but I took delivery of a reverb this week from alltricks.fr
    It’s an older model left hand mount with no bleed kit but was €155 plus €17 postage which is £142.

Not sure if still available at that price but worth a look.
    It’s replacing an old Joplin which cost the same a few years ago but is proving hard to get parts for since extra uk took over from 2pure as distributors. Rail clamps made of cheese.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dropper Seatposts – A market I really have no idea on!!’ is closed to new replies.