Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dropper seatpost and hanging bikes by saddle from the ceilling
  • beefy

OK, long title, but does anyone here hang there bike up in the garage by the saddle on a bike with a dropper seatpost.

I have just got a i900 and just thought that it may be a problem.

lipseal
    Free Member

I wouldn’t your asking for trouble!

druidh
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be a problem with a Gravity Dropper

beefy

OK, but anyone actually know?

GavinB

How much do you weigh?

How much does your bike weigh?

Compared to you getting bumped around on top of the post, do you think that hanging the (presumably) smaller weight of the bike statically off a beam in your garage would be worse? If it fails by hanging off that, it’ll last about 2 mins as a workable seatpost.

Sorry, that sounds too sarcastic, but would you hang the bike off a hook holding the front wheel? Pretty much the same technology.

GavinB

t’ll last about 2 mins as a workable seatpost.

just got a i900

Sorry, I missed that bit. 😀

ChrisL

Mine went up on the gondola at Fort William several times suspended from a saddle attached to an i900 and suffered no problems for it. I think if you hung a bike from one for an extended period the worst that might happen is that it’d extend if it was initially compressed. But that’s just my opinion. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Gavin the forces are acting in a different direction though. When you’re sitting on the bike, that’s forcing the seatpost into the frame. Hang it from the saddle, and its pulling the seatpost out of the frame.

Don’t know if it would make any difference though.

beefy

Yeah, just thinking the same as real man, it is designed to cope with high downward acting forces, and a light upward acting force (ie when it returns), but hanging it may affect seals etc, just don’t want to add to the already well documented reliability problems associated with these posts.

bazzer
    Free Member

If it was a problem then picking the bike up by the seat would be a problem !!!

Bazzer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dropper seatpost and hanging bikes by saddle from the ceilling’ is closed to new replies.