Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • dropper seat posts
  • pease
    Free Member

im looking to get a dropper seat post. i see most are around the 4inch mark is there a 5 or 6 inch option. also are there posts to stay away from. i hear the early versions had issues with the seals etc..
    any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated

robsoctane
    Free Member

there’s definitely a 6 inch dropper out there somewhere. I saw it in a mag, tested. Uses neoprene on the slider. Can’t remember make though…

pease
    Free Member

6 would be better as when i hit the downs i like to get the post out of the way. im in two minds about them.

Highland28
    Free Member

I got a joplin 4, wasn’t sure about it before I tried it tbh. They are amazing, i have 4″ of travel which is plenty for me but everyone is different, find myself using it quite a lot, brilliant if there is lots of undulating trails. Mine had to go back to crankbros to get new seals and a service after 2 months which wasn’t great and i wished i had got a reverb instead but now it is back it is running so nicely. Really glad i got one now!

Ambrose

Pease- there are quite a few about. I found more I was unaware of on Ebay by searching for “Kind Shock”

Also see here:
    http://www.kssuspension.com/posts.html

I’m also considerring one, perhaps posted over to me as a gift from my Brother in Law in Oklahoma- tax free?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ambrose – sorry but you wont get a whole lot of fans on here.

I may be totally wrong – and slap my wrists- but that shi t was sold in the uk by a certain retailler. I still got one that the seller (not so long ago was super star ish) says that the us distributer will sort it, the US distributer says the the super shitty distributer will sort it.

Anyway, good luck. I will never buy another. But still I happily buy cheap brake pads etc from them.

In the mean time- I suspect you might be a spam bot type?

boltonjon

The Reverb is brilliant and you can buy for less than £170 for a 2011 model

Awesome kit for your bike

🙂

pease
    Free Member

i was looking at the reverb, thats 4 ich travel isnt it??

boltonjon

Pease

The Reverb is a 5″ dropper post

rudedog
    Free Member

Where can you get a Reverb for less that £170?

cheers

jedi

there was a black mamba that dropped 9 inches iirc

Wozza
    Free Member

there was a black mamba that dropped 9 inches iirc

Giggedy.

Matt24k
    Free Member
    scud
    Free Member

You can get 2011 Rockshox Reverb here but only with right hand trigger for about £170.00

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p25327_Reverb-Sattelstuetze-mit-Remote-Matchmaker-rechts-Modell-2011-.html

Jeffus
    Free Member

Right hand trigger is the one to get, then put it upside down on the left, below the bars out of harms way, works fine.

GW
    Free Member

Jedi – Rase black mamba
    costs a fortune, is fairly crude in design and has shitloads of rotational play from new.

was tempted at one point. 9″ is about right for me 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got a reverb.

At 6ft I’d normaly be riding a large or at least an 18″ frame, but my pitch is a medium/17″.

The reverb has about an inch of outer post showing so I could just about get away with a 6″ dropper post in it, but I do have the reverb set for a height I’d considder high on an XC bike to really make the most of it. On a normal 18″ frame I’d not be able to fit a 6″ dropper post.

GW
    Free Member

TINAS – I’m 5’11” and ride a 14″ frame with 410mm seatpost. saddle is either full up or slammed – no middle ground!
    could manage 12″ nae bother 😯

cookeaa

I’ve got an Xfusion Hilo which is 4″ – and they’ve since started doing a 5″ version (The Buggers!) it’s alright, bit heavy there probably is better about for similar money now (~6 months on)…
    For my own needs (5’10” on a 17″ HT) 4″ is enough but 5″ would be a tad betterer…

There the old Black Mamba or whatever its called that does 9″ drop using very crude means, and too high a price tag…

Still not totally convinced the Reverb is as awsome as people seem to make out but 5″ travel is ideal (IMO) and yuo at least have the big brand backup of RS…

In general look for quality over quantity (of travel) I reckon…

boltonjon

cookeaa

I’ve been running a reverb since July – maybe 1500 miles – with no issues what so ever

I’ve not serviced it – although i should – and there is minimum play

I hammer the shit out of everything i use – yet its standing up to it

I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories about the other droppers on the market. Excess play, regular services etc

So, for £170 – what more do you need to be convinced? Moreover, how can you be convinced without using one for a few months?

There is a reason the Reverb gets 10/10 on every test!! 🙂

jedi

up or slammed +1 gw

pease
    Free Member

9 inches sounds good to me 🙂 im not sure what to do really as i tend to drop my post right down out of the way on the downs. just thought on those rides where the route changes constantly it may be a handy thing…

Ambrose

Just showing that the six inches requested was available, that is all. I was unaware of the issues mentioned. CSW- calm down. Spambot. Not me.

Pease, see you tomorrow mate.

pease
    Free Member

yes ambrose, looking forward to it. especially if it stay nice and clear like this!!

walleater

Anyone put in any time on the Giant dorpper post? I know the Reverb is the ‘go to’ post these days, but it’s stupidly expensive and I can get a ‘reacharound’ deal on the Giant too….

npunshon
    Free Member

I am not sure where all the reverb love comes from as the 2011 posts had a lot of issues, mainly developing play front to back, leaking air seals and the tube connector breakng at the seat…. Don’t get me wrong the back up service is ace but I wouldn’t buy from anywhere other than lbs as there’s a fair chance you will be sending it back. My lbs did a special offer on them when they first came out so sold loads and have had the good majority back to send off etc. RS said mine couldn’t be fixed after around 12 xc rides so got a full refund and have stuck with my ks950 which has never given me any issues……..oh except the cable remote is crap but I devised a remedy for that.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I think that most of the problems were with the early Reverbs that needed bleeding before fitting. Mine and 2 others that I know of with a manufacturing date after Feb 2011 have been faultless. The manufacturing date is shown on the end of the box.
    Just make sure that you don’t let the seals dry out. A few drops of the supplied oil on the inner post and pumping it up and down does the trick.

o96192083
    Free Member

I bought a specialized command post blacklite. Haven’t used it yet as it’s a christmas present to myself, but from what I did testing (“yes dear, I have to check it’s working or I will need to send it back”), it seems decent.

The big difference is it isn’t a hydraulic system. It is mechanical. It has three fixed positions, which physically lock into place (i.e. it is not relying on any pressure holding it up). In this sense I think it will be a lot more durable than the others, but we will have to see. I’ve heard great things about the reverb’s hydraulic lever, which no one else has. Gives better power apparently. Not sure it’s worth the extra cash though.

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Droppers have a steel spring and mechanical pin system – reliable and easy to maintain/service. They now do a 5″ drop model for 30.9mm+ seatposts – 4″ and 3″ drops in 27.2mm+.

Northwind

Aye, Gravity Dropper is still the most reliable and lightest dropper seatpost out there. Only 4 inches of drop though, and hideous.

KS i900 went through a very bad spell, just wasn’t really UK-fit when they started being sold here. But now, they are. Superstar as distributor is not ideal obviously but though they’re erratic, you do usually get the job done in the end.

Everyone talks about sealing as an issue… Frankly, not at all with the KSs now, after a year of all conditions riding mine was perfectly clean inside. Rockshox won’t be better.

jambon
    Free Member

KS 950i now available in 6″ drop. It’s what I’d get if I had any money.
    Leisure Lakes do them.

james
    Free Member

“that shi t was sold in the uk by a certain retailler”
    Yes superstar sell them
    Wiggle also sell them
    Leisure Lakes also sell them
    I guess others do?

Singletrack mag seemed to like them? They reckoned the i950 (and newer sealed i900) should last a lot better than the older sealed i900

“On a normal 18″ frame I’d not be able to fit a 6″ dropper post”
    Bare in mind that the KSi950 supernormal (the 6″/150mm drop one) has a post length of 430mm. So it ought to fit you?

I keep wondering whether I should get an i950 150mm, (you know like every other bike part out there to buy .. )
    Since going back to a normal post I’ve barely missed my i900r* tbh, even with my frames 3″ or so of saddle drop. I thought I would miss it terribly but just not so. Granted I can drop a standard post on a smoothish, flattish surface at slow-medium speed, and the wear on my post marks my ‘proper’ up position really quite well but still

*out of warranty, it won’t stay down, side-side slop** was pretty bad in the end even with new guide pins (rest will be worn). Just never been bothered to try getting it fixed out of warranty
    **tbf it could be an advantage on loose rubbly climbs .. though a PITA when trying to ride anything slow/really techy

Tracey

Specialized do a 100mm and a 125mm

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘dropper seat posts’ is closed to new replies.