Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Dropper posts, Are they worth it ?
  • ChrisL

Which is the best non remote version then? Gravity Dropper? It seems a fair bit lighter than the other ones.

Depends what you want, really. GDs have limited adjustability. Some have two settings (all up, all down), some have three (an addtional one for 1″ drop I think). Other posts have infinite adjustement between their maximum and minimum heights. Some have layback, some don’t.

Between myself and my friends I know people with KS, Gravity Dropper and Joplin 4 uppy-downy seatposts and we’re all largely happy with each of them. Northwind really likes his Gravity Dropper (but not his KS but maybe it’ll improve if he sends it back like he keeps on saying he should), Freakcrab likes his Joplin 4 and I like my KS posts.

Also, how low can you put your saddle for dirt jumps etc? Doesnt look like you can “slam” it like you can with a normal post.

Most have 4 – 5″ of adjustability: KS has 5″, Joplin has 3 or 4″, Gravity Dropper has 3″ or 4″. There is one that has something like 9″ of adjustability (a Reisse?) but they don’t seem very common in the UK. The collar where the inner shaft meats the outer shaft means that you’ll lose at least 1″ of drop compared to dropping a conventional seatpost as low as it goes.

Northwind

Do remember you can drop a dropper post just like any other- at fort william mine was all the way down in the frame, so I could have it low or very very low :mrgreen: You wouldn’t do it often but for dirt jumping or dh it makes sense

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

GW, have you owned one or used one for any period of time? I bought one as a convert to flatties I found I was always dropping my saddle, but I bought it with a cynical eye and fully prepared to hate it and sell it on ebay/here. I have a joplin which has maybe +/- 1mm of rotational play at the nose of the saddle. I dont notice the play AT ALL when riding. Interesting that you compare it to other contact points such as pedals. I now ride flats, but most clipless designs have float which allows the foot to rotate slightly. I’ve never heard anyone complain that the float left them feeling out of control of the bike (oddly now I’m used to grippy flats after 18yrs on SPDs I feel the obvious rotational play in SPDs to be disconcerting). Maybe your biomechanics are different to mine but I reckon my hips rock and rotate very slightly when I pedal so on a “fixed” saddle my arse slides very slightly anyway (corroborated by knackered cycling shorts which have worn patches on my sit bones suggesting some movement).

You may not like them, you may not “get” them, you may actually be annoyed by the play, but enough people arent that they continue to sell and manufacturers think the market is big enough that it’s worth entering (RS Reverb). My only gripe with my remote-operated Joplin is the p1ss poor sealing, however I like the functionality of a dropper seatpost enough that I am prepared to try solve this problem myself, and I miss it when I ride my standard seatpost HT.

jedi

i keep umming and arrgghhing about wether to get one

stevio

must be a big bummer for Thomson, thats all i can think of!!!! Probably everyone’s (old) No 1 upgrade…

Jeffus
    Free Member

Ive been using my remote I900 dropper post for 14 months fantastic no wobble,no problems, feels strange on my other bike not to have one and you notice how much the saddle hits your arse.
    Only slight problem at -13degs it was slow to come back up 😀 but I think the remote cable was icing up.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think they can be a bit of a crutch.

And really not needed on a SS set-up where you can have the seat an inch or two lower than normal anyway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a Pure non remote version. Changed the way I ride on the big bike. It’s been awesome. I can drop it en route in to the gnarrr (I iz so street, innit blud?) and then pop back up as soon as it gets climbing again. A really good upgrade to a longer travel bike and one which will only keep getting better as the technology gets better. The RS Reverb is on my shopping list, as it’s the best one out there at the moment in my opinion.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Or use a quick release?

GW
    Free Member

MC – No, I’ve never owned one.. I’ve ridden bikes fitted with most of them toh and all have had play, even brand new.
    I actually love the idea of a remote dropper with a large drop (6″+)but until someone designs and sells one without that play I’m not about to drop £200 or whatever on one. It’s not even difficult to design one with no play the manufacturers are taking the piss IMO.
    I don’t want even 1mm of play in my saddle. any manouver using the saddle feels awful to me with any play at all whether it’s my inner thigh pushing into the saddle or sitting on it. The way I ride I’m constantly changing/correcting foot position and grip but the difference with pedals and grips is, The rider dictates when/how to rotate/move your feet/hands not the pedals/grips.

this arguement kind of reminds me of the old USD DH fork stiiffness arguement in the early 2000s.. the amount of people with Shiver DCs that said you couldn’t feel the flex while riding even though if you grabbed the front wheel and twisted the bars there was a crazy amount of flex crazy was unreal but in the real world, stick your front wheel in a rut or rockgarden and it’d end up facing a completely different direction to your bars.

Northwind – pretty much no DH bikes these days can run a slammed seatpost as unless you run it ridiculously far forward on the rails the rear tyre will buzz it before the shock reaches full travel.
    and no dropper post I’ve ever seen can be slammed like a DJ bikes’

Northwind

“Northwind – pretty much no DH bikes these days can run a slammed seatpost as unless you run it ridiculously far forward on the rails the rear tyre will buzz it before the shock reaches full travel.”

Um, yeah, obviously. But what has that to do with anything? You’re not going to put a dropper post in a DH bike usually after all, and the few times you might- endurance type events- you’d never want it lower than you’d put a regular saddle. Likewise DJ bikes, it’d make no sense at all to put a dropper post in one of those but if you’re just jumping on a regular bike you could drop the post.

GW
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t read like you understood that ^^ from the wording of your last post.

more irrelivence for you – I used to always run a Scoper post in my DH bike at innerleithen DH Races, it makes a massive difference for fatigue from riding the stupid road to the uplift pick-up point being able to pedal the mile and a half 10X a day having your saddle at proper extension (not possible with an ordinary post on many DH frames). There are other UK DH venues with a nightmare pedal to the uplift too.
    I’d run a dropper on my mini DH bike all the time if they didn’t have play.
    it would also make total sense for me to run one in my most used do everything (for want of a better term) bike, which just happens to be a DJ hardtail

Northwind

GW – Member
    “I’d run a dropper on my mini DH bike all the time if they didn’t have play.”

See I don’t get this. I can understand your concern about play when it’s for, oh, let’s call it active riding- stuff where you feel it could impact your control. But for slogging along a road to an uplift? Really don’t get why the play would be a consideration.

But OK, for the DJ bike I should have been clearer, it makes no sense for a DJ bike being used just as a DJ bike- didn’t take into account people using them for other jobs.

GW
    Free Member

er.. what would be my reason for slogging along the road to an uplift in the first place? 😕 or would you expect me to use the dropper to ride along then switch to a normal post that doesn’t wobble at the top?

BTW – I don’t uplift the mini DH bike, that was the whole point in building it.

grumm
    Free Member

Yes.

Northwind

Ah, I get it- being stupid 😳 Thanks for clearing that one up.

sherry
    Free Member

Yes they are good but as said before always have a spare regular post with you! Don’t use a Joplin post on chair lifts that you have to hang it from the saddle as it will put too much stress on it. I done this at Fort William and when I lifted the bike off at the top oil was dripping from it and defo had more play! My Joplin 3 broke twice with no more than 7 hours of use! Great when working, hopefully the newer ones will be more reliable. Should be better made and much more reliable for what they cost.

diggers
    Free Member

If you think you need a dropper for FTD then the Ad men have won 😉

scotsman
    Free Member

Don’t use em but they have Crank Brothers Joplin 3 @ CRC reduced from £209.99 to £98.98 53% off, seems like a good deal to me? Thoughts on the Joplin 3. would not be so gutted if I purchased this or it was shite!

GEDA
    Free Member

Am I the only one that stands up most of the time when they are biking so I don’t mind that my seat is low?

My local ride consists of.
    22k on cycletracks/road/forest track – seat right up.
    30k on small singletrack with jumps/much steepness both up and down – seat down by about 13cm. Standing up most of the time other times cruzing having a rest with my seat low.
    22k on not so technical singletrack and forest roads – seat right up again.

My mountain biker/man need to buy gadgets says yes but looking at the riding I do says no. Especially as I have a tendency to snap seat posts.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

GW, as I said if youve ridden one and disliked it fair enough, but your “emperors new clothes” argument that everyone else is in denial is wrong. I used to think they were a solution looking for a problem, then when I started with flatties I found I was forever lowering my saddle on technical stuff (even just an inch or so) to keep my feet on the pedals, whereas for climbing I like it (or my knees do) as high as possible. I’d originally planned to buy a used one off here to give it a try at no loss, but after a messy attempt purchase went for a new one from CRC, figuring if I hated it I’d lose, what, 30 quid which I was prepared to so. I genuinely dont notice the play when riding, if I did I’d have sold it, and I had an EC70 there before so its not being kept for bike bling factor.

I agree though that the Joplin in particular has some glaring design faults (laughable sealing, play from new which means poor tolerances) but they continue to sell despite that. I dont notice the play but it grates me that it’s there from a perfectionist standpoint, and Ive attempted to solve the seal issue with a zip-tied neoprene shock boot and if that fails it’ll be the cheaper, uglier but no doubt more effective zip-tied section of inner tube.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the dropper posts on my Enduro but tend to forget it’s there and not use it.

Speshpaul

if its 30.9 you want then have a look at a spesh command post.
    Mine doesn’t wobble, and works.
    They are all expensive, and considering the office chair technology i can’t see where the money is being spent (against the price of office chairs) But you don’t “need” to spend £2k on push bike either.

GW
    Free Member

MC – I don’t have an “emperors new clothes” arguement, I have a shite product (and owners’ denial of it) arguement.
    I’ve been riding around with a slammed saddle most of my life only raising it for climbs and as I’ve already said I would love a dropper post my only issue is the unacceptable (for the price) wobble they all have.

grumm
    Free Member

GW, you are assuming that everyone else shares your weird OCD obsession with having no play whatsoever in their seat post. 😛

I’ve never noticed the play on my gravity dropper.

messiah
    Free Member

I love the idea, but I’ve broken two saddles this year, therefore waiting for a reliable version. I can live with stopping to mess with my qr because I am always so far out front of groups, or riding on my own… in which case it doesn’t’ matter a fig anyway.

When I find one I think is me proof I will be in like flynn.

grumm
    Free Member

I can live with stopping to mess with my qr because I am always so far out front of groups

:swoon:

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Just having returned to MTBing this year, after a long time away, I’d never heard of these things until a guy showed me the one he used at Carron Valley.
    Initial reaction? Can’t you just lower your seatpost with your QR? Is the 5 seconds of time you save worth the £200 you’ve spent on that, plus all the extra maintenance hassle?
    Now, I can see the use of remotely operated ones, but my god, the price! £250 for a Reverb? Really? People think thats ok?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I don’t notice any movement in my dropper, didn’t notice any flex in my shiver DC’s either. Lovely forks back in the day!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Q: “Dropper posts, Are they worth it?”

£170 for a cheap one?

A: No.

grumm
    Free Member

Q: Ever used one?

A: No, thought not

Yes they’re expensive but so are most things on a mountain bike. It’s honestly one of the best biking purchases I’ve made.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    Q: “Dropper posts, Are they worth it?”

£170 for a cheap one?

A: No.

Going on that theory you could say the same about anything that costs a lot.
    A rider buys a 500 quid hardtail, becomes a brilliant rider and get’s muchos pleasure from it for years and years.
    Another rider buys a 6000 quid trek fuel ex 9.9 and becomes your typical ‘all the gear’ type that never did the vital groundwork on a hardtail that so many adamantly stress is vital.

But perhaps the ‘all the gear’ rider is still enjoying themselves regardless of not becoming perhaps as good a rider as someone doing it the ‘proper way’.

It’s all relative if you ask me.

GW
    Free Member

WTF? it’s weird not to want no play whatsoever in a saddle? 😕

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

grumm – Member

Q: Ever used one?

A: No, thought not

Yes they’re expensive but so are most things on a mountain bike. It’s honestly one of the best biking purchases I’ve made.
    I take your point, and am glad you are having a good experience with yours. However, until such time that I have a spare £200 lying around, I won’t be rushing out to buy one.
    Things are expensive, but some things more so. In the big list of stuff on your bike that breaks/wears out, my standard seat post is pretty low down the priority list. The dropper variety just sound like more hassle, more expense and less reliable.

I take it these things are new technology then? Hence the price.

grumm
    Free Member

WTF? it’s weird not to want no play whatsoever in a saddle?

I have no noticeable play in my saddle – I really don’t think you notice it unless you are looking out for it.

grumm
    Free Member

I take it these things are new technology then? Hence the price.

I dunno, the original GD has been around for a while. They should definitely be cheaper I agree. I think it depends on your riding style too, but I wouldn’t be without one now.

7hz
    Free Member

The extra weight, limited adjustability, expense, and more mechanical things to go wrong all put me off getting one.

I’m no riding god, so I don’t have much ‘flow’ to get spoilt by stopping for 10 seconds to adjust my post (if needed).

Maybe in some years they will be lighter, cheaper, sturdier, more adjustable.

GW
    Free Member

grum – can you wheelie for an extended distance sitting down with your saddle at full extension?
    try it on a dropper post and the play is instantly evident and more than a little annoying.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

franciscobegbie – Exactly, it’s a seatpost.

Possibly the most boring component on a bike. It’s a post that holds a seat. £170 odd quid for one? Sheesh. A quick release takes seconds to adjust and don’t wobble as some people have mentioned.

So no, they’re not worth £170.

It’s like remote suspension lockout – another idea that solves a problem that isn’t really there.

What next? Handlebars that retract in width to get through a narrow gap? Actually, that might just work…

🙂

5lab

i rode my first rides with mine (27.8mm rase) over the weekend. Its not without its flaws (you have to sit on it a certain way to make it drop, its a little stickiony, its heavy (if you worry about that) and there is play) – but its well worth it. If you like riding techy stuff with your saddle up, there’s little value, but I always slam mine right into the frame. I don’t think I’d get much value out of one with a 3 or 4inch drop, as to me that makes the saddle still ‘up’ – however the 9 inch drop was very useful, as is the ability to run it at any hight (1″ intervals)

H

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Dropper posts, Are they worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.