Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dropper post with saddle lever – any good with Alps lifts?
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

OK, planning to do Passeportes this year. I have a dropper post with an under the saddle lever. Will that get bashed about on the lifts and should I get a bar mounted release?

And yes, I appreciate a bar mounted lever is preferable in riding terms but I’m on a budget.

Cheers

BoardinBob

Can’t remember any lifts that held the bike by the seatpost in Morzine, Les Gets, Chatel etc. They do exist but I never encountered one out there.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s made me look at the lift arrangements again – see what you meant it shouldn’t be an issue.

jedi

you’ll be fine

steezysix
    Free Member

Don’t worry, your seatpost will be fine. The rest of your bike, however, will be thoroughly abused by ham-fisted lifties.

DrP

Having both wheels bolt through added a bit of confidence to the ‘is my bike gonna plummet 50m to it’s alpine death’ situation as it swings from it’s rear wheel!

DrP

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’ve had my bike plummet from a lift even though it had a conventional seatpost even though it had 2 through-axles and a conventional saddle :S

not seen any lifts that would be of a concern, but you might confuse some of the lifties (even more than they already are)

thered

oliverd1981 – YOUR BIKE DID WHAT???? HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HAPPEN?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just because you want a new bike oliver, doesn’t mean you can throw it off the lift…

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Did you bike have three wheels then oliverd1981

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hamish – what you do have to look out for is your bike being lifted by the seatpost when you have dropped it. If you’ve got a Joplin this can make it go “soft” and not stay up properly until it’s “burped” – Crank Bros expression, not mine!

It’s worth popping the seat back up before handing your bike over to the lift guys.

In true STW style of offering unasked for advice, I’d really think about a remote kit, I never liked reaching down between my legs for a lever whilst riding downhill or over stuff that needed my full attention.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Mmmm… thanks for the comments all.

agent – yes I’m familiar with that issue – to be honest it’s a s/h post and I’ll be taking a spare ordinary one as it won’t surprise me if it packs in with the rigours of the Alps.

Noted ref the remote – I’m inclined to agree.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It was the old bike park lift in Les Gets, the bikes just hung in a hook by the front wheel. 1 person or one bike per chair. The Liftie (who happened to be female and abot 5’3″) hooked it on with the rim rested on the end of the hook. After the lift left the station the bike swung a couple of times then dropped about 20 ft.

Luckily it landed straight on its back wheel, and it being a DHI and having 10″ or so of travel, it just soaked up the landing and then gently fell over.

I was 3 chairs in front watching it all happen.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post with saddle lever – any good with Alps lifts?’ is closed to new replies.