Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • dropper post protection
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a bender fender and had an idea for a product. A butt fender thats longer at the seatpost end and extends down from the rails to protect a dropper seatpost from the elements.

If it could extend down far enough to reach the dropper post collar at full height then a small spacer could be zip tied to the collar to keep the guard away from the stanchion and it would just slide down behind the seat tube when lowered.

Let me know what you think would you buy it. I’ve put the idea to muckynutz who said they will look into it.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Anyone

colournoise

I think there’s mileage in it. Mainly because I spent a bit of time Sunday afternoon hacking an Ass Saver about trying to create something similar. I failed and Sneed up just strapping another section of inner tube over the post itself.

Northwind

Problem is about having the space when the post’s dropped. I think my bikes would probably be fine but they both have long posts. But with a lot of folks’ setups, it’d foul the frame.

Still, I do think there’s a market. I wouldn’t use one because my dropper posts are fit for purpose 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Please send 10 quid PP gift for one

havinalaff
    Free Member

That’s just ugly……… Lol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep but it works and as it’s stuck next to my arse it’s hard to look at for very long. It also only cost 50p. Did I say it also works.

carlos
    Free Member

Asked somthing similar a couple of weeks back – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/so-what-you-keeping-the-wetdirtmud-etc-off-your-dropper-post-with

2/3’rds down the first page is my solution out of an old Neoguard. Actually works great. Dead easy to fit, remove, wash, refit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was advised against (and could see the logic) the neoprene ones in close contact as you need to remove and wash them to avoid the build up of crap. I went with the idea above so that it was separated from the post completely. It gets a quick hose off and thats it – no need to remove.

adilc123
    Free Member

Get a gravity dropper.

Adil.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

adilc123 – Member
    Get a gravity dropper.

Adil.

No, I’d rather the infinite adjustment, a 30.9 post and something less clunky.

Post above is over 2 years old and fine.

sleigh62
    Free Member

what about cutting a piece of innertube, removing the saddle, slipping it over the post and zip tying both ends … the lower one just below the collar?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what about cutting a piece of innertube, removing the saddle, slipping it over the post and zip tying both ends … the lower one just below the collar?

As with wrapping in neoprene it traps the crap in there. Splash/splatter protection and the odd wipe down works well.

carlos
    Free Member

Mike I beg to differ, the Neoguard doesn’t trap the crap and the fact it takes seconds to remove and refit isn’t an issue when cleaning the bike.

Each to their own though eh ? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike I beg to differ, the Neoguard doesn’t trap the crap and the fact it takes seconds to remove and refit isn’t an issue when cleaning the bike.

Each to their own though eh ?

Yep, I knew that I wouldn’t get round to removing and cleaning so I went for the solution that was lazy and hosepipe compatible 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Condom.

Ribbed one might be better if it has some structure. Cut teat off the end. Slide an o-ring up the seat post onto the stanchion. Slide the condom up teat end first to the top of the stanchion. Roll the O-ring down to secure the cut opening and use the O-ringy bit at the base around the bushing part of the seat post.

Nice and see through so you can see if any dirt gets inside and if you’re lucky it might have the bonus of built in lube 😀

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I cant believe they spend tons of cash to pay for the muppets to do this design.. Any mtb’ers knows mud (sand,grit) could get there and make the mechanism fail.

votchy
    Free Member

Who fits protection to their forks and shocks to keep mud off them? If not, why do dropper posts need them (gravity dropper excluded as it’s fit and forget)?

Northwind

Personally I don’t think they do- I’ve got a Gravity Dropper, which comes with one as it needs it, and a KS which doesn’t because it doesn’t. The infrequent servicing I give it never finds much dirt under the seal and after 2 years of unrelenting Scotland it’s good as new. Wouldn’t buy one I didn’t think I could trust tbh.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ya just want an old sock & a couple rubber o rings !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘dropper post protection’ is closed to new replies.