Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dropper post options?
  • timangus
    Free Member

I’m looking at potentially getting a new dropper post, but I have quite specific requirements. There is no way I can use a “stealth” post as my frame won’t do the cable routing. Also, with the cable routing to the top of the post, near the seat clamp, I find that when my current post is dropped, the cable buzzes the rear tyre when the suspension bottoms out.

So. What I need is a post with external cable routing, but where the cable mounts to the lower, fixed part of the post. So far, I have this list of options:

KS Lev
    Fox Transfer
    Crank Brothers Kronolog

Have I missed any?

TIA

scotroutes

Gravity Dropper – and some of its clones (TMARS, RSP PLummet)

timangus
    Free Member

Ah yes, I have come across those before, but I’m more keen on the hydraulic locking variety. Thanks though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

Reverb ?

You should be able to route the hydraulic hose such that it doesn’t loop back towards the rear wheel too much.

The external hose version of the Reverb comes with a simple zip-tie guide that keeps the hose close against the frame, and on my 140mm travel bike, the hose is nowhere near the tyre when bottomed out. The hose does rub on the shock pivot when its compressed right down, but that’s not a problem.

Or you could get one of those Hope seat-tube clamps with built-in dropper hose guide.

I don’t see what makes your setup ‘specific’. It just sounds like most MTBs from about 4 years ago, i.e. pre-stealth.

timangus
    Free Member

It’s not, I just think it’s neater to not have cables flexing about if you can help it. This Hope seat tube clamp sounds like a good idea though; I’m basically doing the same thing with a couple of zip ties right now. I’m still interested in other dropper post options though, if anyone knows of any..?

vincienup
    Free Member

KS Lev every day for this application.

Discjockey is right in that it’s not a very specific issue and that it did affect all bikes at one point, I’d argue that he’s remembering it overly fondly that the cable tie guide or the Hope dropper guide actually fixed teh problem – they just made it a little less annoying.

FWIW I run Levs on my externally routed HT’s also because the flappy cable scenario of any externally routed post with a hose/cable that needs to be free to follow the saddle up and will have excess cable when in the down position annoys me so much. I’m not a Reverb hater by any means and have one that woud be old enough to be going to school now, that has never failed … 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for the ks, though top tip from the sram boys down under was to turn the reverb round twice so the cable coils around the post then it compresses like a spring not onto the wheel

DiscJockey
    Free Member

You’re right Vincie – it certainly doesn’t solve the problem…although I’ve never really seen it as a problem. The only thing I’ve ever had to fuss over is the position of the remote lever – the rest has been fit and forget.

I do also have a mechanic dropper post where the cable enters the bottom section (I’ve only just realised this is what timangus was actually asking about in the first place !). Although the cable routing looks neater, it does get in the way when I grab the top tube when hoisting the bike over stiles/onto shoulder etc…so it’s not the perfect solution by any means.

mikewsmith – I’m going to try that now !!!

weeksy

Magura Vyron, wireless, cableless, effortless. Can swap between bikes in 30s. Awesome

ajantom

Must it be remote control?
    I’ve recently converted my X-Fusion HiLo to an under-seat lever so I can swap it between bikes easily, and though I’ve been using a remote on droppers for 5+ years I’ve not had any issues being able to drop/raise it when needed.

konanige

Ditto for the Hope clamp, my hose never gets near my tyre. Not sure if the loop of hose annoys me I’m usually looking where I’m going when the saddle’s down!!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post options?’ is closed to new replies.