Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dropper Post on a Hardtail
  • jimthelad
    Free Member

I’m worried the extra loads put through the seatpost will drastically reduce the life span of the bushes/seal/gubbins.
    Seen a few pics of them fitted to HTs on here, how does the life span compare to one on a FS?

Cheers

steel4real
    Free Member

No offence but I think you are worrying too much.

However I can see where you are coming from. Got a Reverb in my HT this year and so far so good but it would proably take over a year before any possible ‘issues’ were apparent. even then it’s not going to be certain if any concerns are becasue it’s on a HT.
    It’s not like you’re fully sat on the saddle that much on a HT anywway ?

jimthelad
    Free Member

Just thinking about on big climbs, where some of the front-to-back loads are taken up by the suspension on a FS. I tend to climb sat down even on steep stuff.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have no probs with my Gravity Dropper, been on a variety of hardtails for a few years now.

messiah
    Free Member

No offence but I think you are worrying too much.

This ^^^

I love my Reverb… if it breaks I’ll repair or replace… same as any other useful bike part.

Thinking about it my Reverb has now lasted longer than a couple of QR’s I’ve had :mrgreen:

GW
    Free Member

are you also worried about the extra strain put on your suspension fork without rear suspension to help with the front to rear loading?

all droppers develop annoying play very quickly no matter what bike you fit them to.

bowglie

I have no probs with my Gravity Dropper, been on a variety of hardtails for a few years now.

Ditto

t-p26
    Free Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ what they said up there ^ ^ ^

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

GW which ones, have you tried them all?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Gravity dropper develops play.
    Tighten collar.
    Play gone.
    Simple 🙂

GW
    Free Member

have you tried them all?

of course not. 🙄

avdave2

GW is never one to let experience colour his judgement. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

😆

Fact is tho, a dropper post design that does not develop play in not yet available.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its the same as telescopic suspension fork legs. Bushings will wear over time.

What’s needed is a linkage dropper post, with pivots rather than sliders. Prefrably fitted to a Whyte PRST-1.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Fact implies knowledge not seen much evidence of that from your input to date 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

To be honest the whole point of a dropper post is that your weight isn’t on the saddle when any significant loading occurs!

GW
    Free Member

Dick, just incase there’s some sort of confusion I’m using the noun “Fact” meaning “true”
    shouldn’t be too difficult to disprove me if I’m wrong and I’d be very happy if you could.

cookeaa

OP I don’t believe any dropper post is sold as “For use only on FS bikes” and the differences in loading on a seat posts fitted to HTs vs FSs are probably marginal; I’m not even sure you can definafively say HTs present a more onerous load case really…

My HiLo has been good for almost two years now with only one “Home service”…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dropper Post on a Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.