Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dropper post length Q
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So I’m thinking of finally taking the plunge (pun intended!) and getting me one of dem dropper things.

But – getting confused about the different lengths available. Do I just go for the longest one that’ll fit within the extended length of my current post, or is there any benefit from having a shorter dropper bit than I could potentially fit?

Ta.

letmetalktomark

For me (a recent dropper convert) I went with the longest drop (125mm) on the longest post.

I run a reasonable amount of post out of the frame so the longer post covered the need for X amount of post in the frame.

I also tried to work out where the saddle would end up when dropped. For me the 125mm gets it comfortably out of the way but still in reach of thighs if needed.

With the amount of post run out of the frame I don’t think the 100mm post would have dropped the saddle enough and it would have ended up still in the way.

That said I have read of people finding that the longer drops put the saddle too low.

I went with a Reverb. Useful to be able to drop the post a little, a lot or all the way down.

The boxed product also came with an enduro collar to limit the drop if needed.

So waffle done …. does that help?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes, that helps thanks. I’m looking at the KS Lev with 150mm drop. I understand it can be ‘stopped’ at any level between zero and 150, so I guess wouldn’t be an issue the saddle being too low?

Does a longer extension post have more wobble/less strength I wonder?

iainc

perth – as long as you have at least the minimum insertion point inside the frame it makes no difference. If you work out how much you will need sticking out when it’s fully ‘up’ then you can see what overall length you need.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Well I have 230mm sticking out at the moment. And I gather the Lev’s fixed bits take up 55mm, so I have 175mm to play with. Longest they do seems to be a 435mm with 150mm drop, so do I just go for that one?

iainc

perth – I have a reverb , rather than Lev, but sounds sensible. I have a 125 reverb with a 380 overall length. There is 125 of shaft plus about 50mm of collar gubbins out the frame, and about 200mm inside. The only downsides of the longer overall length would be if you have an interupted seat tube which might stop you getting it far enough in, and I suppose a tiny weight differential.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post length Q’ is closed to new replies.