• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Mat.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dropper post cable routing on a non-dropper post frame…
  • Mat

Any thoughts, tips suggestions on the above?

I’ve been thinking about getting a dropper post for my handjob but if I do I want it to be bar actuated, does anybody have any elegant solutions as to how to run the cables/hoses?

Also how do people get on with taking the post in and out of the frame? I do this quite frequently to put the bike in the boot and I was wondering how much of a pain it would be?

Northwind

Sticky-on cable guides have worked reasonably well for me… Every so often I pop one off (the original adhesive wasn’t strong enough at all, superglue gel has been better) and the cable’s always slightly gone where it wants to… But no real complaints.

Taking it out, you just need to allow enough slack- I can pull cable through from the bars to make it. Or, alternatively, if it’s a top-mounted cable/hose (Reverb etc) then you can drop the post to create extra slack too (though it’s a pain if you accidentally bump it back up!)

Might be worth asking Cove about internal routing, I’m drilling my current frame for a stealth.

Mat

I hadn’t even thought about internal! I may just drop them an email, I assume that would be in and out of the top tube?

tandemwarriors

On the P7 I used small zipties and strapped it to the rear brake hose. As Northwind says, I could still pull a bit extra cable through to ensure I could take the post out without undoing everything.

Rob

colournoise

Tandemwarrior +1 on my BFe. Works fine.

chip
    Free Member

I use cableties with eyelets from halfords, one either end of the top tube.

You have to drop the ends in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes to twist to the desired angle without snapping.

chiefgrooveguru

I just use cableties through the rear brake hose guides on my 2010 Soul to hold both brake hose and dropper. Under top tube routing works very neatly for this!

docrobster
    Free Member

My bike has bottle cage mounts on the top tube so I got some ragley bolt on cable guides and used those.
    Currently out of stock at crc though

Pembo
    Free Member

Those eyelet cableties look good chip. Anyone know the diameter on the Reverb cable? I’ve found some on ebay but they range from 2.5mm to 7.6mm

chip
    Free Member

Sorry I can not help you as my droppers a hilo and uses a cable not a hydraulic hose which I believe the reverb does.

Mat

Cheers everyone, some good tips here, think linking onto the break hose will work best for me but chips boiling water suggestion should help with zip tie routing next time i route the front brake hose on my forks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post cable routing on a non-dropper post frame…’ is closed to new replies.