Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dropper Post
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

In the market for one of these, 31.6 post size.

Preferably one that has remote lever for the handlebars. Any recommendations?

nickjb
    Free Member

Brand X is fine. Works well, reliable and cheap. The lever isn’t the best but is functional and you can upgrade later

garage-dweller

I’ve got three brand-x posts on various bikes.
    IME, simple, reliable and affordable and critically for me have easy external routing since all the bikes don’t have internal routing.

Only caution is the CRC/Wiggle situation (as I think they’re exclusive to them/in house brand). If I am wrong on that then apologies. Having said that if orders are still shipping then the basic mechanics of them seem pretty robust to me so risk is limited.

According to CRC’s website it is a trading name of Wiggle Limited, which is in administration. When I returned a CRC product last week all the returns information is branded Wiggle.

JoeBones
    Free Member

I tried to order of Wiggle and CRC earlier.

A simple common product that wasn’t in stock.

Used to buy load off them. What’s going on?

Northwind

They’re in administration, check out the big thread.

oldnpastit

I’ve had a few Brand-X’s – they’re fine but the cable nipple (at least on the ones I have) is at the lever end which means you have to fiddle around trimming the cable and fighting with a tiny grub screw in the base of the seatpost which invariably ends with me dropping it on the garage floor and then scrabbling around trying to find it.

I recently bought a One-Up dropper and it’s (a) nicer generally and (b) arranged the other way around so much easier to setup. However, it is quite a bit spendier especially after you add in the price of a remote (not included IIRC).

Fat-boy-fat

Bike yoke. Reassuringly expensive (and ruddy good).

tthew

I got a BrandX dropper delivered from CRC yesterday, they’re great. Couple of days could be a long time in this business’s climate mind. 

Have a 100mm drop, 30.9 I’m looking to move on at the moment if you’d consider a shim. PM me if interested.  

honourablegeorge

Brand-X a great cheap option, but warranty situation a bitbun kear with. RC in trouble.

OneUp a bit nore, BikeYoke for expensive smoothness

nickfrog
    Free Member

I have an adjustable travel Trans X. So nice for a serial frame swapper like me as I insist on fitting it slammed.
    Shimano MT500 lever is fantastic at £20.

pj11
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Bike Yoke here.

ads678

My Brand X seat posts (3) have all had the nipple at the seat post and the cable clamp/grub screw at the lever. Does the job perfectly.

My lad has a RSP something or other which is fine, not as good as the Brand X but it was only £50!

Northwind

I love my bikeyokes, but they’re expensive enough that I wouldn’t buy another tbh. (I got one back when they were teh only option over 170mm, it got nicked then recovered so now I have 2. But these days I’d get Oneup I’m sure)

Oneup are awesome if you want the extra length (which I do, longer dropper = better dropper) but if you don’t then tbh the cheaper options are really excellent now. Especially all the various options that are just minor variations or identical

chestrockwell

I’ve had/have Brand X, Fox Transfer, Thomson Elite and RS Reverb.

Thomson is easily the nicest bit of kit and the one that justified the cost the most but not sure you can get them anymore or in decent lengths? Of the other expensive posts the Fox is better than the RS and recommended. Brand X isn’t as good as the Fox or Thomson but it’s not miles off and for the price is really the way to go unless you have plenty of spare cash.

Kramer
    Free Member

Brand X are good but have a deep collar.

One up have a lower stack height for a longer drop.

nickc

Another vote for bike Yoke, very easy to live with, easy to service. Yes expensive, but they last forever.

desperatebicycle

Cannondale Downlow came on my ebike and is nice
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305225101534 £65 (over £200 rrp) , get a Bonty lever for go with it for £21 and you have a very decent dropper for well under a ton.

(oh that’s not mine for sale btw, it’s still happily installed on the bike!)

superstu
    Free Member

Levers make a difference. Have tried plenty and whilst the bonty is good the ztto is much better in my opinion for less £.

Brand x dropper will do everything most people want and costs little.

Unless they’ve improved in the recent past avoid a reverb like the plague

nickfrog
    Free Member

I checked the price of the Yoke things. I was expecting around £200 like a OneUp. OMG, they must be super light, go up and down with incredible delicacy, smoothness and onctuosity. Plus last 15 years without servicing. Just make sure you get the right travel though!

martib

+1 for BikeYoke, gave up with Reverbs. I currently have a Fox Transfer on one of my bikes which is OK.

However I have found the BikeYokes to be reliable & easy to service yourself.

Gribs

The fox dropper is now listed on Wiggle (but not CRC) for £139.99

https://www.wiggle.com/p/fox-suspension-transfer-performance-elite-dropper-seatpost-721298816

I’m tempted by a 175mm one to replace the 125mm brand x one on my hardtail but wondering if it’s worth £40 more than just a longer brand x one. It appears to be slightly heavier and needs potentially expensive servicing rather than potentially a £30 replacement cartridge. Are they actually nicer to use?

chestrockwell

I have a Transfer and a Brand X. Fox is defo a nicer bit of kit but it’s closer than you’d imagine. Is it worth £40 more? Yeah, but not by a lot.

Might get one to replace my perfectly good Brand X because I’m a tart.

coynie09
    Free Member

Just ordered a Race face Aeffect dropper this morning iv’e got two Brand x and as these are meant to be the same just under a different name and at the price it’a on at i thought id give it a go  ….. now just to see if it turns up……

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.