Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dropper post?
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m usually found on the Chat forum, so apologies if the subject is a tedious one….however, I bought a Spesh Command Post in 2010 and it was essential for me on my Epic Expert as I have long legs and felt far too high on the steep stuff. I then put it on my Giant Anthem 29er which worked okay, but now its knackered and doesn’t work and unrepairable. A bit disappointing as its not exactly been used that much.

So what is the current thinking on the best product/best VFM product? I can afford a decent one, but I’m a one a week rider, so don’t want to blow money unnecessarily. TIA.

Kahurangi

There’s a list of 10 on the STW front page at the moment!

10 Dropper Posts Tested & Reviewed

I’d rate my KS Lev (static external cable), but it’s pretty long in to tooth now.

jakehinton
    Free Member

The new bike yoke one looks good but a bit pricey. I’ve always found reverbs to be good, in fact ill be selling mine soon and replacing it with a stealth version.

Rockape63
    Free Member

There’s a list of 10 on the STW front page at the moment!

Well, blow me down….I’ll have a good look later! 😀

NormalMan

There will be a magazine next 😉 😆

jam-bo

The new bike yoke one looks good but a bit pricey

just got one. the fact I could fit 160mm drop in the same space as a 125mm reverb sold it for me.

monkeyboyjc

If it’s VFM your after – the brandX one ticks the boxes. It’s a little on the heavy side (+100g on a reverb) is its only fault.

spacemonkey

Yep, BrandX on my radar too, although I’d prefer 150mm.

ajantom

If cheap and reliable is what you’re after then the new version of the RSP Plummet comes in both stealth and external flavours, and can be found for about £85.
    Been running a stealth one for a couple of months now and it seems rock solid. Weighs 100g or do more than the posher brands, but it is 1/3 the price!

monkeyboyjc

Only 125mm of drop but……
    Easton haven
    It’s a bit of a bargain – you can get the 1x leaver for £25, and if you have British cycling membership you can save a further 10%.

spacemonkey

That Easton gets a fair bit of bad press. Always seemed well overpriced too. For sub £150 surely the BrandX has to be a winner?

tomhoward

I’ve 2x command posts and 3x reverbs, I’m happy with each, but the reverb seems a little nicer to use, especially with the new 1x remote

NormalMan

ajantom – Member
    If cheap and reliable is what you’re after then the new version of the RSP Plummet comes in both stealth and external flavours, and can be found for about £85.
    Been running a stealth one for a couple of months now and it seems rock solid. Weighs 100g or do more than the posher brands, but it is 1/3 the price!

That is the one I’m seriously tempted with.

monkeyboyjc

Having owned both the brandX and Easton – the brandX is easier to set up but heavier and lever isn’t as nice in action. But it’s a little more reliable (from personal experience, it didn’t have to touch it in the year I owned it) and has a 2yr warranty.

The Easton needs careful cable set up or you get the occasional post slip (with a big squeak) and if you leave it with the post down for long periods it looses pressure. But it’s lighter and ‘feels’ nicer in use. The under bar 1x leaver although has a similar positioning is much nicer in use and has better clearances with other controls.

Rockape63
    Free Member

If cheap and reliable is what you’re after….

Actually it probably isn’t! I think a cable free one sounds ideal. Anyone got one?

monkeyboyjc

Cable free? As in under saddle lever style?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Cable free? As in under saddle lever style?

no sorry, meant hydraulic like the reverb. but as I don’t have internal cable routing possible I’m not sure now.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway….just thought I’d share the fact that after much research I bought a 440mm Giant Contact SL Switch for £144 from Winstanley Cycles inc delivery.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.