Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dropper drilling and bottom brackets…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m interested in fitting a stealth dropper to a non-stealth routed frame. There’s some excellent threads on the subject from a couple of years ago, so I’m fine with drilling and grommets etc. My question relates to the BB.

The frame I’m considering has a Hope replacement PF41 type. I don’t have the install tools as I let my LBS fit it (seemed sensible years ago as I don’t intend another pressfit frame ever).

Do I need to worry about swarf? My gut reaction would be to remove the BB before drilling and clean the crap out of the shell before putting the B.B. back in, but without the tool to realign, my options basically are inverting the frame and shaking it out or taking it back and asking the Shop to do the whole thing which I don’t really want to do on such an old frame.

Am I setting myself up for problems if I leave the B.B. in while drilling?

scotroutes

Drill it with the frame upside down so it falls out and not in?

kayak23

^^^ That’s actually genius. I was trying to think of some sort of elaborate umbrella type device.
    The simplest ways are usually the best.
    😆

jkomo

Hilarious!

vincienup
    Free Member

That is genius. I’m embarrassed I didn’t think of that!

Thanks, Scotroutes! 😀

mistervear
    Free Member

Also, put a good blob of grease on your drill bit, the dwarf should stick to it.

vincienup
    Free Member

Lol! A mostly stripped frame in a stand isn’t really what was being discussed on that upside down thread!

Although, if we’re going there, I have to say that due to years of not owning a repair stand I still find it much easier to fit a wheel with the bike upside down… 😀

jairaj

Anyone got a link to a good place to buy the grommets?

kayak23

Also, put a good blob of grease on your drill bit, the dwarf should stick to it.

Poor little dude 😥

akira

CRC do some Vitus ones that’ll do nicely.

vincienup
    Free Member

Iirc the Vitus ones on CRC were the grommets recommended in the thread I had in mind which featured a brand new PP and a drill in the pictures…

kayak23

^^^ Yeah, mine.
    Those grommi use a slot type hole remember. The first one I did I just used an 8mm bit and some round ones from Halfords..

vincienup
    Free Member

Cheers! And thanks again for the excellent guide!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dropper drilling and bottom brackets…’ is closed to new replies.