Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dropped chain 3 times today. Why? 1×10 set up
  • shaungero
    Free Member

So I have had a 1×10 set up for 10 months on a cotic soul and never had an issue at all so why would my chain have come off 3 times in today’s ride ? It’s a clutch zee rear mech and hope NW chainring. It’s always been smooth and perfect. Just wondering what must be wearing out for the chain to drop.
    Cheers

nickdavies

Worn ring or chain, or damaged mech? You checked the clutch switch hasn’t been knocked off?

smatkins1
    Free Member

Chainring could be worn. Mine drops more often as the chainring wears.

proflexforever
    Free Member

Old chain i reckon…

or maybe you where riding so damm off the hook that the chain had no chance…

lets go with option “B”

ifra
    Free Member

Its worn, I’ve just changed my front ring, chain and cassette on my 1×10 after ten months as well, mine had just started dropping on most descents

jamj1974

Chain wear or stiff link?

Worn front ring or sometimes anything that adds a lot of drag e.g. Damaged teeth, cassettes or chainrings or a damaged chain can do this too.

shaungero
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I might try the chain first then chainring after that. To be fair it has had a good hammering through the winter

rickon
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I might try the chain first then chainring after that.

10 months of wear in a single ring will mean there is no way a new chain will mesh. You’ll have many slipping issues. Chances are the cassette won’t work with it either.

Use a chain checker, if it’s above 1 on the wear scale, replace everything.

I’d actually just replace everything anyway, as it’s likely to be frustrating to replace the chain to find the chainring slipping, replace that to find the cassette skipping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dropped chain 3 times today. Why? 1×10 set up’ is closed to new replies.